Better Than Bouillon - How Much To Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy cow, I ordered the three jars yesterday afternoon and it was on my door step at 10am this morning with no shipping or tax. Now that's service! jet.com

I'll be making reports CG!

I sure hope all of you getting the various flavors of BTB put a review of how you liked it and what you used it for in this thread. I'll be interested in seeing if I need to get any. Of course, since it has something to do with cooking, I already want to try them all. However, I prefer letting everyone else experiment first. ;)

I use the lower sodium beef and chicken. Really makes a difference in a dish that has a broth or gravy. I am not a salt person, so the lower sodium suits me fine. The clam BTB for me is very salty with the taste of the sea. Perfect for clam chowder. With the saltiness of the clams and the BTB, I have no need to put salt in the chowder. They didn't have the lower sodium version when it first showed up at my supermarket. My next purchase will be for the veggie BTB. :angel:

Thanks for that, Kayelle. Looks like I can waste spend a lot of time on this site too. :LOL: I noticed the Lobster Bisque recipe called for white wine, but shouldn't it have Sherry? I thought a bisque always used Sherry.

I glanced over a few of the recipes . I might get the ingredients for the Strata Croque Madame one of these shopping trips soon; it looked really good to me. I could probably substitute Challah bread for the croissants.

I just used BTB-chicken flavor, for lunch. a half tsp added to cream of mushroom soup, thined with milk, yum. Unfortunately, the only flavors I've found in my neck of the woods are chicken, sometimes turkey, beef, and ham. The chicken and beef are readily available. The others, I see once in a great while. (heavy sigh). It's the best tasting soup base that I've found, at least for my tastes. Home made will always be better, but takes a lot longer to make. BTB i good for when you don't have the time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I want to order the ham base. Does it have a smoky flavor or just a regular boiled ham flavor?
I use/have chicken, turkey, beef and mushroom flavored.

Last edited:
MsM, I took a taste of my new jar of Ham flavor, and it has a pronounced smoky flavor!

Thank you Kay. So the BTB would add a nice smoky flavor to my soup.
I am going to order the BTB Ham base and the Goya ham base from Amazon.

MsM, I took a taste of my new jar of Ham flavor, and it has a pronounced smoky flavor!
Imagine using some of it as a stock for red lentil and carrot soup!
Aside: Last night I used the BTB lobster base. Ten 3"x3" thawed fresh frozen pieces of halibut, 10 large thawed prawns. I made the sauce using a C of Original V8 juice, 3 T clarified butter, 1 clove fine chopped garlic, 1/2 T of the lobster base, 1/2 t Pernod. When this sauce was boiling hot, just a couple of minutes before serving, (with plain cooked Jasmine rice,) I added the room temperature halibut pieces and the prawns. I put the lid on and just barely brought the sauce back to the boil. Turned off the heat and let the fish/sauce rst for a couple of minutes. Just before serving I added the juice of one squeezed lemon. S&P.
Served and garnished with some fine chopped watercress, though parsley or cilantro would have worked.
The fish was PERFECTLY cooked through.
I am often dismayed when I read recipes that call for any seafood to be high heat cooked for say "10" minutes +.

Last edited:
I picked up a ham base and lobster base at the local supermarket this morning, $4.99 for any variety. The product locator on BTB's web site was accurate.

I looked at Amazon for theses items. Their prices were outrageous! $9.95 for chicken, $7.41 for lobster. Jet was close to supermarket prices, $0.50 less for the lobster, $0.90 more for chicken.

Back
Top Bottom