"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #51
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
MsM, I took a taste of my new jar of Ham flavor, and it has a pronounced smoky flavor!
Thank you Kay. So the BTB would add a nice smoky flavor to my soup.
I am going to order the BTB Ham base and the Goya ham base from Amazon.

Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #52
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
MsM, I took a taste of my new jar of Ham flavor, and it has a pronounced smoky flavor!
Imagine using some of it as a stock for red lentil and carrot soup!
Aside: Last night I used the BTB lobster base. Ten 3"x3" thawed fresh frozen pieces of halibut, 10 large thawed prawns. I made the sauce using a C of Original V8 juice, 3 T clarified butter, 1 clove fine chopped garlic, 1/2 T of the lobster base, 1/2 t Pernod. When this sauce was boiling hot, just a couple of minutes before serving, (with plain cooked Jasmine rice,) I added the room temperature halibut pieces and the prawns. I put the lid on and just barely brought the sauce back to the boil. Turned off the heat and let the fish/sauce rst for a couple of minutes. Just before serving I added the juice of one squeezed lemon. S&P.
Served and garnished with some fine chopped watercress, though parsley or cilantro would have worked.
The fish was PERFECTLY cooked through.
I am often dismayed when I read recipes that call for any seafood to be high heat cooked for say "10" minutes +.

puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #53
Sous Chef
I picked up a ham base and lobster base at the local supermarket this morning, $4.99 for any variety. The product locator on BTB's web site was accurate.

I looked at Amazon for theses items. Their prices were outrageous! $9.95 for chicken, $7.41 for lobster. Jet was close to supermarket prices, $0.50 less for the lobster, $0.90 more for chicken.

tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote