Better Than Bouillon - How Much To Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I picked up a jar of Chicken Better Than Bouillon, based on the comments in this forum. The Cooks Illustrated review of the product said it was salty and suggested using a reduced amount. However, they did not offer any suggestions as to how much. We don't use much salt, so I'm guessing using a half to two thirds of the recommended usage would be a good starting point. Wondering what others are using.

I don't make soup very often, but use purchased stock more to flavor rice or rice / meat / veggie dishes, making it a little more difficult to correct if needed.

I use the reduced sodium chicken BTB. I throw in a T here and there.

If you're using it as a basis for soup, you will be adding other ingredients such as veggies and/or meats along with other seasonings. You may find that the salt in the BTB goes to season the other ingredients and ends up not being too much.

Start with the recommended amount and see what happens. I think it's one teaspoon per cup of water.

When I'm making soup with other broth, I sometimes add a spoonful of BTB to boost the flavor.

Funny, I don't think it's salty, but I'm a salt lover. Salt and fat are two of natures great flavor enhancers.

BTB has a fraction of the salt found in other types.

Last edited:
Follow the ratio on the jar.
Don't add any additional salt until the dish is finished cooking. Then adjust the seasoning if needed.
The people at 'BTB' have figured out the correct ratio. They wouldn't make a product that would be considered too salty for the average person. 'LOTS of market research goes into making a product like BTB.
I have a number of different BTB flavor bases.
Currently my favorite is th lobster base.

I also don't measure. I have used bouillon granules often in the past just adding a teaspoonful to cooking stock or to the water for rice, and now I do the same with BTB. It just enhances the flavors, makes for richer gravies, etc. Never noticed that it was especially salty, but I'm careful with seasoning when I add something like that until I taste it.

Make a cup of the BTB according to the directions on the jar, taste it. Then you will know what your ingredient tastes like. If it's too salty for you, use less. Personally, I think it's just right and I am on a reduced salt diet.

Make a cup of the BTB according to the directions on the jar, taste it. Then you will know what your ingredient tastes like. If it's too salty for you, use less. Personally, I think it's just right and I am on a reduced salt diet.
Have you tried the lobster base?

I just used BTB-chicken flavor, for lunch. a half tsp added to cream of mushroom soup, thined with milk, yum. Unfortunately, the only flavors I've found in my neck of the woods are chicken, sometimes turkey, beef, and ham. The chicken and beef are readily available. The others, I see once in a great while. (heavy sigh). It's the best tasting soup base that I've found, at least for my tastes. Home made will always be better, but takes a lot longer to make. BTB i good for when you don't have the time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Puffin, I'm curious how you use the lobster flavor? The only time we eat lobster it's the main event without leftovers. I suppose it would be good for lobster bisque but beyond that, I can't think of how I'd use it.

Kay, I'm thinking clam chowdah, gravy for baked fish, bouilliabase, other soups, shrimp boil.

I just used BTB-chicken flavor, for lunch. a half tsp added to cream of mushroom soup, thined with milk, yum. Unfortunately, the only flavors I've found in my neck of the woods are chicken, sometimes turkey, beef, and ham. The chicken and beef are readily available. The others, I see once in a great while. (heavy sigh). It's the best tasting soup base that I've found, at least for my tastes. Home made will always be better, but takes a lot longer to make. BTB i good for when you don't have the time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I just noticed that I'm running low on BTB low sodium chicken stock. Time for a Costco run.

I tried BTB and found I ran out of it much quicker than the granulated kind, which I prefer over the cubes.

Now they've come out with powdered chicken or beef base. I'm not sure it's an improvement over the granulated. I think I prefer to stay with the granulated.

I HATE the cubes!

Kay, I'm thinking clam chowdah, gravy for baked fish, bouilliabase, other soups, shrimp boil.

Hmm, I'm thinking Fish Sauce would be a better choice instead of specifically lobster flavored BTB.

I'm actually wanting the ham one. I know I'd really use that one for the smoky factor alone.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm thinking Fish Sauce would be a better choice instead of specifically lobster flavored BTB.

Hm. I love my fish sauce, but it would be a totally different flavor, being made from fermented anchovies. Looking forward to experimenting with the lobster stuff!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom