Better Than Bouillon - How Much To Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone know about how long the BTB lasts in the fridge? The last time I bought a jar was around 4 or 5 years ago when I was cooking for my mom, too. I've only tried the beef and chicken, and really like it.

Cheryl, it has a sell-by date, but I usually ignore it. I'd go ahead and use it!

Ooops, Dawg....I should have been clearer. I don't still have the same jar from that long ago, just that I went through it faster back then while cooking for two. Now it's just me. Good to know it lasts a long time in the fridge, though! :LOL:

Kay, I'm thinking clam chowdah, gravy for baked fish, bouilliabase, other soups, shrimp boil.
Ya. I'm blessed with having all kinds of fresh West Coast seafood available here year round. I use it in all the things you mentioned.
Recently I made some 'pot pies' in medium size ramicanes.
My wife made her usual amazing puff pastry dough. I made a basic roux which I turned into a sauce using some BTB lobster base and hot water and clarified butter.
I sauteed some fresh fine sliced fennel bulb and shallots in clarified butter and a cap full of Pernod.
I placed some fresh frozen halibut pieces I caught last fall and froze in milk cartons with salted water and then thawed them and cubed them then placed them on the bottom of the ramicines.
Pastry lid on top brushed with butter. Into the oven 350 F.

Ooops, Dawg....I should have been clearer. I don't still have the same jar from that long ago, just that I went through it faster back then while cooking for two. Now it's just me. Good to know it lasts a long time in the fridge, though! :LOL:

:LOL: Yeah, I might be a bit hesitant with 5 yo BTB, but it probably would still be fine!

OK, I'm sold on the lobster. I just ordered Lobster, Mushroom and Ham BTB at jet.com and the three of them came to a total of $14.25, no tax, no shipping, and here in two days. Can't beat it! Besides now I don't have to hunt the stores and pay more. whoo hoo. I already have the chicken and beef.

Ya. I'm blessed with having all kinds of fresh West Coast seafood available here year round. I use it in all the things you mentioned.
Recently I made some 'pot pies' in medium size ramicanes.
My wife made her usual amazing puff pastry dough. I made a basic roux which I turned into a sauce using some BTB lobster base and hot water and clarified butter.
I sauteed some fresh fine sliced fennel bulb and shallots in clarified butter and a cap full of Pernod.
I placed some fresh frozen halibut pieces I caught last fall and froze in milk cartons with salted water and then thawed them and cubed them then placed them on the bottom of the ramicines.
Pastry lid on top brushed with butter. Into the oven 350 F.

Thanks for the ideas Puffin. Are you aware BTB comes in clam also? I almost bought it with my recent purchases at jet.com.

OK, I'm sold on the lobster. I just ordered Lobster, Mushroom and Ham BTB at jet.com and the three of them came to a total of $14.25, no tax, no shipping, and here in two days. Can't beat it! Besides now I don't have to hunt the stores and pay more. whoo hoo. I already have the chicken and beef.

Braggart! That's a really good price, Kay. I've been eyeing the clam myself. Hm. Maybe I won't have to drive to Costco to get my beloved low sodium chicken BTB.

I should have mentioned you can use a little BTB lobster base in any recipe that calls for fish sauce or anchovy paste. It really adds a brighter flavor profile.
I'm currently writing a cookbook and I'm using BTB Ham/Lobster etc bases in the recipes. More on the book as it nears completion. I can promise you all it is a very unique and healthy approach to making delicious dishes. IMO the concept has never been put into a cookbook.
I'm using a litte bit in any tomatoes sauce.
I tried to get my local grocery store which only carries a couple of BTB bases to bring in the full line. To no avail so far. But as pointed out Amazon is a handy source.

It's going to get contaminated by opening the container and putting a spoon into it. The salt will definitely help preserve it, but I would hesitate to say that it will be perfectly safe indefinitely.

You don't want to know how much it cost me to click on that link and I didn't even get any BTB.:ermm:

Thanks for the heads up on that site!!!:rolleyes:

Yes, thank you, Kay! Holy cow....$2.18 for a 3 lb. box of Morton Kosher Salt?? :ohmy: I think I paid twice that at the grocery store the last time I bought a box.

Reviews, please.

I sure hope all of you getting the various flavors of BTB put a review of how you liked it and what you used it for in this thread. I'll be interested in seeing if I need to get any. Of course, since it has something to do with cooking, I already want to try them all. However, I prefer letting everyone else experiment first. ;)

Back
Top Bottom