"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Biggest mistake/disappointment

I know we have all had that great idea that didn't pan out the way we thought. Mine was last summer. I was trying out my new vertical smoker with a side firebox. I had pork butts and baby back ribs. The meats were rubbed and stood for 24 hours. I was out at 6 am stoking the fire box ready to go filled with excitement. My hickory chips were well soaked the coals were glowing. Life was good. I put the meats in the the chamber, the chips on the coals and watched as I waited fod the temp to hit 250 degrees. I waited and waited. Started up more coals and put them in. Opened both vents to full but could only get to 225 degrees. Well I kept spraying the meats down and pulled the ribs 4 hours later leaving the butts to keep cooking. I wrapped the ribs in tin foil after giving them their final spray of apple cider. That night I reheated them in the oven on low heat. Brimming with pride I served them to my family. I took a bite to find an almost jerky like texture, dry and tough. My wife told me that they weren't that bad but I was pissed. All that time and effort down the drain. Come to find out that those little thermometers they sell you along with the grill are not completely accurate. I purchsed a digital themometer and found out it was 125 degrees off. I now cook with 2 digitals, one for the box temp and one for the meat.

Any other disasters out there?

JDP

Old 12-18-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Sous Chef

My endless attempts at roasting a whole chicken to perfection. I feel like a mouse running in an exercise wheel to nowhere. Thank god I don't track the time I have expended pursuing this endeavor...

Some day I'll probably figure it out and have a heart-attack, keeling over into my oven...

Old 12-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
My second marriage.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
My second marriage.
Now that's funny. Although my original intent was a cooking not life experience.

JDP
Old 12-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I make these lovely cookies called Chocolate Crinkles...Well one day DH suggested that marshmellows would be lovely in the cookies. Well the next time I baked I added the marshmellows to the recipe and well the pans needed a lot more than elbow grease to get the gooey mess off of the bottoms (more like a sand blaster). But with a few tweaks the recipe would probably make some really good gooey brownies.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
"I purchsed a digital themometer and found out it was 125 degrees off"

dude, that`s several orders of Magnitude off!
I hardly think you can Blame yourself for the way it turned out :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Trying to make cookies with the one egg I had left in my fridge, instead of 2, or maybe 3....
Half the cookies fell apart being taken off the baking sheet.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Baking a whole salt crusted fish and not being able to get the salt off. Pass the water, please.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Being in a hurry whilst cooking/serving up and Totaly forgot to close the freezer door, it stayed open all night and the lot was ruined.
I wasn`t on a lot of money back then either, we got used to baked beans on toast pretty quick though :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine
Baking a whole salt crusted fish and not being able to get the salt off. Pass the water, please.
I did a similar thing but I put a few slices into the skin. What was I thinking? One bite and it was like Medusa's gaze had hit you and you turned into a salt statue. We could have put it outside and used it for a deer lick. I believe you know what that is Loprraine as you too enjoy the taste of wild game.

At least I think it was Madusa from some Greek Mythology movie I saw.

JDP