Biscuits & Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One tip for any gravy made with flour - WONDRA Quick Mixing Flour. It comes in a tall blue can and is with baking supplies in the supermarket. It never lumps and makes great gravy. Another tip - use a whisk when making gravy.

That sounds like a pretty simple recipe, Finca, which plays right into my hands. I might halve this and give it a try. I would love to fins a recipe that produces Bob Evans' biscuits. I love those things.

Actually, I usually make a half recipe at a time. That way, I can do them in my toaster oven rather than wasting electricity with the big oven. If you do them in the toaster oven, be certain that it's fully preheated on its highest temperature setting (usually 500 degrees). When you put the biscuits in, reduce the temperature to 450 and bake as usual.

I like my biscuits better than Bob Evans, but to duplicate Bob Evans biscuits, try substituting buttermilk for regular milk, add 1/4 tsp baking soda, one additional tsp baking powder, and one tsp sugar. You may need to adjust the shortening also. It seem to me that their buscuits have less than mine.

Taste aside, I meant the fluffiness of BE's biscuits. It seems everyone that makes homemade biscuits is always striving for a fluffier biscuit. At least looking at the posts.
I am definitely going to make these.

Thank you Finca and Phil. I am going to try those also and see which one is easier for me to make.

I hate making biscuits. I am lazy, and found I like bisquick drop recipe for biscuits and gravy. I add cheese and cracked pepper and sometimes add crumbled bacon to dress them up a little. Crack some pepper and extra cheese on top before baking, and voila! Everyone always tells me they are the best ever lol!

I make my breakfast gravy like sattie said except if I've made bacon, I just use the drippings from that.

BTW, if anyone makes the breaded bacon (minus the sugar), that bacon grease makes great gravy.

Speaking of gravy - does anyone have a recipe for red-eye gravy? And what exactly is that???

The term "red-eye" comes from the little red circles or "eyes" of grease that form in the gravy.

Here is a recipe you might like:

A few drops of vegetable oil
8 slices (1/4-inch thickness) raw country ham
3/4 c. black coffee
1 tsp. granulated sugar

Heat a large fry pan over medium heat with a few drops of oil. Slice ham in several place at the edges to prevent curling. Add ham slices to skillet. Cook on one side for 8 minutes over medium-high heat. Turn slices and fry 8 minutes more. Add the coffee to the ham in the pan. Sprinkle with sugar and stir. Cover and let simmer over very low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. This is served over the ham and goes well over grits or biscuits too.

There are many variations of red eye gravy, some with milk, some with black pepper others with water.

This one is more traditional. Hope you like it.

Jeff

Nothings better on cold winter's day then home made Pork Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.
It took me a long time to achieve soft pillowed biscuits.The true trick to making them fluffy,keeping the texture soft,and melt in your mouth good.Is NOT to over work the dough.That was my biggest mistake.

Have your butter milk at room temperature.I use the powdered kind,Can't think of the name off hand.It's located in the baking isle,small cardboard container/red lid/ chefs pic on the front.Or fresh butter milk can be used.

This recipe yields between 9 to 12 biscuits.Depending on your cutter.I personally use my Lord Of The Rings glass.. (Burger king special) :ROFLMAO: That makes 12 large biscuits..I also use these when I make Chicken and Dumplings,just add dried parsley in with the dry ingredients.

Here ya go.. enjoy! :)

Biscuits:...Ingredients

3 cups All purpose flour sifted
1 tablespoon Double acting baking powder
1 teaspoon Double acting baking powder
1 teaspoon Table salt
1 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
1 1/3 cups Butter Milk
8x8 in baking pan greased on all sides

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees..

Sift together the flour,salt 1 tablespoon plus the 1 teaspoon of double acting baking powder.
Add the sifted ingredients in a large bowl,to the crisco.
Using a pastry cutter,work the flour into the crisco,just until it crumbles and feels soft.
With the dough hook attachment,work the flour mix for 2 minutes on low.
Slowly add the buttermilk,On low until it's completely blended in with the flour,and the sides of the mixing bowl are cleaned.
Dough will feel a little wet and sticky.
On a lightly floured cutting board,work the dough,just slightly,Enough for it to be rolled out,Don't over work the dough.

Roll out to 3/4 in " cut with a biscuit cutter or large glass that's been dipped in flour.
Do not twist the dough as you cut.
Place the biscuits in the greased pan sides touching. Brush the tops with buttermilk,if you want.It's not the law.
Let it rest for 10 minutes,then place them in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.Until the tops are a nice golden brown.

Sausage Gravy

Ingredients

1 pound Breakfast Pork Sausage cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup All purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Black Pepper freshly Ground
2 teaspoons Table Salt
2 cups Whole Milk

Instructions
In a large skillet.Cook and crumble the pork sausage.
Add the flour,mix thoroughly.Slowly add the milk,salt and pepper,to taste.
Bring it to a boil.Stir until thickened.
Serve over warm biscuits.

Munky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom