"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #21
Senior Cook

One tip for any gravy made with flour - WONDRA Quick Mixing Flour. It comes in a tall blue can and is with baking supplies in the supermarket. It never lumps and makes great gravy. Another tip - use a whisk when making gravy.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That sounds like a pretty simple recipe, Finca, which plays right into my hands. I might halve this and give it a try. I would love to fins a recipe that produces Bob Evans' biscuits. I love those things.
Actually, I usually make a half recipe at a time. That way, I can do them in my toaster oven rather than wasting electricity with the big oven. If you do them in the toaster oven, be certain that it's fully preheated on its highest temperature setting (usually 500 degrees). When you put the biscuits in, reduce the temperature to 450 and bake as usual.

I like my biscuits better than Bob Evans, but to duplicate Bob Evans biscuits, try substituting buttermilk for regular milk, add 1/4 tsp baking soda, one additional tsp baking powder, and one tsp sugar. You may need to adjust the shortening also. It seem to me that their buscuits have less than mine.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Taste aside, I meant the fluffiness of BE's biscuits. It seems everyone that makes homemade biscuits is always striving for a fluffier biscuit. At least looking at the posts.
I am definitely going to make these.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Taste aside, I meant the fluffiness of BE's biscuits. It seems everyone that makes homemade biscuits is always striving for a fluffier biscuit. At least looking at the posts.
I am definitely going to make these.
Let me know how they turn out. Also, if interested, check out the reviews on allrecipes: Allrecipes | Recipe Reviews: South Georgia Biscuits
Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll let you know, Finca.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #26
Cook

Thank you Finca and Phil. I am going to try those also and see which one is easier for me to make.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #27
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I hate making biscuits. I am lazy, and found I like bisquick drop recipe for biscuits and gravy. I add cheese and cracked pepper and sometimes add crumbled bacon to dress them up a little. Crack some pepper and extra cheese on top before baking, and voila! Everyone always tells me they are the best ever lol!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I make my breakfast gravy like sattie said except if I've made bacon, I just use the drippings from that.

BTW, if anyone makes the breaded bacon (minus the sugar), that bacon grease makes great gravy.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Speaking of gravy - does anyone have a recipe for red-eye gravy? And what exactly is that???
Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorie View Post
Speaking of gravy - does anyone have a recipe for red-eye gravy? And what exactly is that???
The term "red-eye" comes from the little red circles or "eyes" of grease that form in the gravy.

Here is a recipe you might like:

A few drops of vegetable oil
8 slices (1/4-inch thickness) raw country ham
3/4 c. black coffee
1 tsp. granulated sugar

Heat a large fry pan over medium heat with a few drops of oil. Slice ham in several place at the edges to prevent curling. Add ham slices to skillet. Cook on one side for 8 minutes over medium-high heat. Turn slices and fry 8 minutes more. Add the coffee to the ham in the pan. Sprinkle with sugar and stir. Cover and let simmer over very low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. This is served over the ham and goes well over grits or biscuits too.

There are many variations of red eye gravy, some with milk, some with black pepper others with water.

This one is more traditional. Hope you like it.

Jeff