"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Cook

Question Biscuits & Gravy

Okay I can make just about every thing thrown at me except for 2 things. I cant make very good biscuits and I cant make gravy for the life of me. I love homemade biscuits but I just cant seem to make them turn out right. I mean they aren't bad or really hard they just aren't fluffy like I want. Any ideas?

And for Gravy, well I have to use the packets of gravy. My gravy always turns out lumpy. I dont know why. I have tried everything. Any ideas that could help?

Everything else I am pretty good at. I can make a cake taste like heaven but just dont ask me to decorate it. LOL

Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Master Chef

Well... can't help you on the biscuits... I finally gave up and opted for a box of Pioneer mix. I have great biscuits now that is almost like scratch.

As for the gravy, I make a sausage gravy that I just love. I brown 1/2 lb of sausage till lightly brown. Then sprinkle in a couple of tablespoons or more of flour into the sausage. I put enough flour in there to coat the meat and absorb any oil. Then I add milk. I don't know how much, I just eyeball it. But I would say about 2 to 3 cups. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer and watch her thicken up! Don't let it go to a rolling boil, just right as it starts to bubble everywhere, then turn it down. It works like a charm every time!

HTH... I'm sure you will get more good tips!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Cook

thanks I might try that saturday morning for breakfast
Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

No idea on the biscuits. Mine come from a can.
But on the gravy, I have found the most foolproof method for me is to add the flour to the pan drippings, stir it in as it's cooking and determine how dark you want to let it get, then add chicken or beef stock, whichever you are going for. I never have a problem with lumps this way, but if I add any other liquid to the pan, with the exception of butter or more oil, and then add my flour, even if the liquid is boiling when I add the flour I get lumps. Of course you could make a flour slurry to thicken the pan drippings, but I don't know if the flour cooks up the same way. I like to do it as if I am making a roux.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Head Chef

Sausage gravy.. you have the best suggestion already posted.

Brown the meat, sprinkle with flour until when stirred up all the meat has been coated with a bit of flour. Allow that to brown a bit... stir it around to cook all the flour some. That will get rid of that "paste" taste. Be careful, the longer you brown the flour the less it will thicken the milk.

add the milk and bring to a simmer. Stir and allow the gravy to thicken. If it seems it isn't going to thicken enough, mix corn starch in cold milk(should be fairly thin). Add that to the gravy and stir. I have never had lumps in any of my gravies.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Ditto on the sausage gravy method posted twice. I didn't realize you were talking sausage gravy and not any gravy.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Master Chef

Pacanis.. I don't think she was talking about sausage gravy. I just offered it up. It is possible that she maybe looking for more of a meatless gravy? In that case, I really don't have a clue... I could make the gravy, but flavor would be a whole other issue.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I was thinking with two posts on sausage gravy, plus the OP did mention biscuits and gravy, with is usually associated with sausage gravy.... I'm thinking they did want a sausage gravy recipe.
Someone had a good pic on here one time, I think they mixed half hot and half breakfast sausage. It made a reddish gravy and looked like it would have a kick to it. I can't remember who that was now, but I don't think they post anymore. It looked like it would be great sausage gravy.

Anyway.....
Old 12-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

My grandma taught me the old elbow grease way of making biscuits. I'll condense it and just tell you that for fluffier biscuits I sprinkle the flour on the dough not the board, then use my fingers only to slightly flatten it. Then I use an old jelly glass or tin cup as a cutter. Using your fingers instead of a rolling pin leaves pockets of air in the dough and a duller cutter, like a cup or glass that has more rounded edges, doesn't seal the sides like a sharp cutter will do, allowing for more air.

With gravy, the cardinal rule to avoiding lumps is hot and cold. When you add the flour to your drippings you should whisk it over heat. After it's piping hot you add your cold liquid while continuing to whisk. Don't bring back to a boil. Remove from heat source when you see the steam or when you've reached the desired color.

I use an electric stove top because I don't have a gas range (maybe Santa will remember this year) so what may be a minute over flame may take 3-5 on the burner.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Cook

I am looking for any kind of gravy not just one kind. I appreciate all the diffrent ideas. I can try them all see how they work and if I can even make them right. Thanks again