Biscuits with White Gravy Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Long story is, my son's girlfriend is coming to visit us for a few weeks.
She is from Montana ( and has basically never left Montana).
We asked him to ask her what kinda foods she likes for breakfast.
She listed a bunch of cereal's, fruit, eggs and all the basics.
Then she threw in biscuits with white gravy.
Im not sure if its a regional thing, or just something I don't eat, therefore never paid much attention to it ( if and when I ever came across it).

So, my question is, what is it ? are there variations of it? and is it a regional thing ?

Thanks in advance.

She's probably talking about sausage gravy, as in the Southern dish of biscuits n gravy.

If you use creamed chipped beef on toast, it's called shhet on a shingle.

Last edited:
Larry, biscuits and sausage gravy is a staple in the south. you brown loose breakfast sausage, add flour to the fat to make a roux and add milk to make a gravy. Lots of black pepper. Serve over split biscuits.

I'm sure you can come up with a vegetarian alternative.

Okey, dokey. Here's what we make as biscuits and white gravy.

Take about 1/2 pound or so of bulk pork sausage and brown it in a skillet breaking it up into small particles.

Once browned, add 4 tablespoons flour and stir to combine. On LOW, add about 2 cups of warmed milk and whisk until the whole mixture begins to thicken. If necessary you can add some butter but, using the sausage, it probably won't be necessary.

Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve over hot biscuits.

Go for it!!

I wondered if someone came up with a vegan option. Here's one ( I would test drive this one first, though. And add sausage-like herbs such as oregano, thyme, sage, basil, parsley, and/or fennel.)

I like the idea of adding onion.

https://www.strongertogether.coop/recipes/flaky-biscuits-with-creamy-white-sauce

Now that I know what it is and the basic ingredients, Im sure I could vegetarian/ vegan it up a bit. They actually sell vegetarian sausage crumbles ( which I mistakenly bought when making tacos), packaging almost identical to the ' chopped meat crumble', so I wound up with sausage tacos.

Not my finest hour. The sausages and taco spices weren't ideal, but they all can't be home runs!! ( that was more hit by a pitch).

Biscuits and white gravy....my small family loves it for Christmas morning breakfast. :yum:

I start with a pound of bulk pork sausage and form about half of it into patties, fry them up, and set aside for those who love sausage patties.

The rest of the sausage gets fried up and crumbled for the gravy. I do like Andy and Katie and add a little flour, whisk till it thickens, then add milk until it makes a nice gravy. Lots of black pepper. :)

By the time the gravy is done, the biscuits (I'm not a baker so they are store bought from the grocery bakery or the kind you pop open from a tube :LOL:) are warmed, and everything is hot and ready to serve.

edited....sorry Larry...this is far from vegan/vegetarian. You could probably come up with something similar from Morningstar.

Last edited:
McCormick Original Country Gravy Mix. No meat, and heavy on the black pepper.

Ingredients:
MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SUNFLOWER OIL, ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, AND FOLIC ACID), CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, BUTTERMILK SOLIDS, SALT, CORN STARCH, SODIUM CASEINATE (MILK), SPICES (INCLUDING BLACK PEPPER), MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (FOR SMOOTHNESS), NONFAT DRY MILK, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CULTURED WHEY (MILK), SOY LECITHIN, DISODIUM INOSINATE AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE (FLAVOR ENHANCERS), AND CARAMEL COLOR.

I just don't seem to get enough caseinate, guanylate, inosinate, and corn syrup solids in my diet lately.

I should go vegan...

edited....sorry Larry...this is far from vegan/vegetarian. You could probably come up with something similar from Morningstar.

Nothing to be sorry about, I enjoy the challenges of trying to create something similar or compatible.

In addition, just being exposed to what people eat in different regions is fun for me.

And yes, morning start has various sausage, sausage patties and sausage crumbles stock pile.

My biggest issue this seems like something I would really enjoy, but Im supposed to stay away from carbs as much as possible, so If I make it and like it, its just one more thing I know I can't have :(

I don't know if biscuits and gravy means the same thing in Montana that it means in Texas. It may or may not be a sausage gravy.

Suggestion, if she cooks, there is a little bonding opportunity if you ask her to cook that breakfast with you. I got to know my MIL by cooking with her.

CD

I use a 1# chub of Jimmy Deans's original. Breaking it up while browning. About half way done I add some finely chopped sweet onion. When ready, I add a couple Tbsp of flour and cook until flour taste is gone. I use equal parts of chicken stock and cream, then add freshly ground black pepper. I'll add more pepper to my serving. I use AB's biscuit recipe.

My grocery store has every packet of gravy and sauce mix. Knorr and McCormick. And alphabetically. But no Country Gravy Mix. I am going shopping again this morning. I will see if it is under the C's.

It's one of the simplest things to make... a staple for my wife and I when we are camping in the mountains. A package of Pillsbury's Grands biscuits, a pound of Jimmy Dean's bulk sausage, flour, milk, salt and pepper - very little in the way of prep, and that's handy in our trailer with zero counter space. If making it at home I will add some chopped onion, but it doesn't really lose that much without it. I admit that I love it too much, and that's why we restrict it to camping or special occasions.

It's definitely not the healthiest breakfast you can make, but it's easy and it's filling, and so good on a chilly morning camped at 9000 feet.

Back
Top Bottom