Bitters used in cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I just bought a small bottle of bitters to make Manhattan cocktails and on the bottle it says to add to basically everything: fruits, vegetables, fish, soups, salads, gravies, etc. etc. etc. So I was just wondering: does anyone use bitters in cooking? What is a good use for it other than making alcoholic drinks?

I learned this from a bartender: If you have an upset tummy, take some bitters with club soda; it will make you burp and you'll feel better :)

I have not used it in anything other than making drinks. But I would be interested in other uses for it.

I like to put a tsp of sugar in the bottom of a champange flute, a dash or two of bitters, then top with a 'middle of the road' champange. Simply yummy!

I have used them in a rub for a roast, in stews etc. I am rather fond of Angustura Bitters.

I have not used it in anything other than making drinks. But I would be interested in other uses for it.

I like to put a tsp of sugar in the bottom of a champange flute, a dash or two of bitters, then top with a 'middle of the road' champange. Simply yummy!
:)That sounds like a Champagne Cocktail,my version is a sugar cube a couple drops bitters and the squeeze of a lemon wedge put lemon wedge after squeezing

That is exactly what it is... not sure where I found the recipe, but it is the main reason why I ended up getting the bitters in the first place!!

I learned this from a bartender: If you have an upset tummy, take some bitters with club soda; it will make you burp and you'll feel better :)

I drink that all the time! Even with a good tummy.

Bitters have a very assertive taste. Never cooked with them, but I imagine they might enhance a sauce or two.

I know you are all talking about a small bottle of bitters used in drink making, but when I was in Denmark, I learned to enjoy what they call bitters. Gammeldansk and other bottled liquor with "secret formulas " that they enjoy straight up in a shot, with their morning coffee, or any gathering. It was awful at first, but now I enjoy a shot once in a while. In Denmark it's always brought out when friends drop in. It's also taken for what ails you. It seems each little region often has a bitters that is fashioned there and has a distinct flavor. Gammeldansk means "old Danish" . It's a lovely custom, and the Danes like to get you to try it whenever you visit a home. They're pleased when a non-Dane learns to like it.

There are a few bitters, so I am not sure which one in particular you mean there is Campari, Cynar, Angostura, Aperol and many more. Going by their differences in ingredients they cannot all be used for the same purpose.Some have herbs, licorice, orange peel, clover, fennel quinine etc etc. Could you please specify then it would be easier.

Back
Top Bottom