"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
How about real bacon drippings sold in a jar in the dairy case? Something along those lines? Great idea!
Corinne... all we need to do now is contact a company or person that cooks a LOT of bacon everyday and convince them that this is a good idea.

we'll get the drippings... bottle them, market them and get rich.

you do a search, and i'll go to wal-mart and buy a truckload of mason jars.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Someone (some prepared food company) must use a lot of bacon for one of their offerings. What do they do with the bacon grease when they are done with it? Know what I'm sayin'?

Old 07-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #13
Senior Cook

You really don't want to know where those drippings end up. However, if you must, sneak around back of a restaurant and look (or, since this is summer, smell) for their grease bin.

And as for the bacon drippings in bulk. We do sell something like that in the south. It's called lard and is available in anything from 1 lb blocks to 5 gallon buckets.

Ciao,
Old 07-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A
And as for the bacon drippings in bulk. We do sell something like that in the south. It's called lard and is available in anything from 1 lb blocks to 5 gallon buckets.
Actually - lard and bacon drippin's are two different things, and taste totally different.

Lard is rendered from pure uncured pork fat and is used for its high melting point for biscuits, pie crusts, etc. - and it's "subtle" flavor in frying. Drippin's on the other hand are rendered from both fat and meat ... which has been cured, generally by smoking here in the South - and used as a "flavoring" for things like greens and other vegetables where the smokey flavor is desired. If you're looking for a flavor somewhere between the two ... then you use a hunk of salt-pork, ham, or smoked hocks - although I have had a few dishes that used pickeled hocks, feet or snouts for flavoring - generally dishes of German origin that used the pickle to offset the bitterness of cabbage.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:45 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Michael,

Not to start a pissing contest or anything but I do know the difference between lard and bacon drippings. If you read what I wrote I said "... something like that ..." Considering they are BOTH fat from the SAME animal I was making that correlation.

Ciao,
Old 07-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
How about real bacon drippings sold in a jar in the dairy case? Something along those lines? Great idea!
I've never seen that ever. Another convenience food.

LOL, I agree with Michael...why put more chemicals in your body when you can have it au natural. I used to have high cholesterol but always had a bit of the 'good' stuff as opposed to a lot of something that 'made do'.