black chef's $1,000,000 idea...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
those of us who live in the deep south ALWAYS keep our bacon drippings for later... to either saute' green beans or start a deeply-flavored roux for gumbos... so, here's my idea:

instead of butter flavored crisco, etc., how about someone, somewhere making a BACON-FLAVORED COOKING OIL?

OK... let's call Crisco and let them know that the amateur and want-to-be chefs of this board WANT a bacon flavored crisco.:LOL:

and somebody needs to contact a good olive oil company too... i'm sure there is somebody that can use a bacon flavored olive oil.

ooooh my grandpa would love you if you made bacon-flavored EVOO that was good for him. I think the idea is brilliant! Nothing beats frying something in bacon grease!!!

Well - since real bacon drippin's are all natural I find little incentive to partake of something "synthetic" ... but I guess if you really wanted to mess with mother nature it wouldn't be that hard - although it's not going to taste as good as the real thing.

Take some Bac-O bits ... and either grind them up in a coffee grinder (reserved for herbs and spices) or use a mortar and pestle - and grind up 2-3 tablespoons worth of "fony bacon" powder per cup of oil. Then, in a cold saucepan - add 1 cup Pure Olive Oil (NOT EVOO - the flavor would detract from the pseudo bacon flavor) or Crisco - the powdered Bac-O bits ... heat until the oil begins to "shimmer", stir, and then cover, remove from the heat, and let steep for about 30-minutes. You should then have "artifically bacon- flavored soybean" flavored oil. Yum! :sick:

You might have to experiment with the exact proportions ... this is just an "off the top of my head" idea on how to make synthetic "taste something like" bacon fat.

Corinne said:
How about real bacon drippings sold in a jar in the dairy case? Something along those lines? Great idea!

Corinne... all we need to do now is contact a company or person that cooks a LOT of bacon everyday and convince them that this is a good idea.

we'll get the drippings... bottle them, market them and get rich.

you do a search, and i'll go to wal-mart and buy a truckload of mason jars.:LOL:

You really don't want to know where those drippings end up. However, if you must, sneak around back of a restaurant and look (or, since this is summer, smell) for their grease bin.

And as for the bacon drippings in bulk. We do sell something like that in the south. It's called lard and is available in anything from 1 lb blocks to 5 gallon buckets.

Ciao,

Steve A said:
And as for the bacon drippings in bulk. We do sell something like that in the south. It's called lard and is available in anything from 1 lb blocks to 5 gallon buckets.

Actually - lard and bacon drippin's are two different things, and taste totally different.

Lard is rendered from pure uncured pork fat and is used for its high melting point for biscuits, pie crusts, etc. - and it's "subtle" flavor in frying. Drippin's on the other hand are rendered from both fat and meat ... which has been cured, generally by smoking here in the South - and used as a "flavoring" for things like greens and other vegetables where the smokey flavor is desired. If you're looking for a flavor somewhere between the two ... then you use a hunk of salt-pork, ham, or smoked hocks - although I have had a few dishes that used pickeled hocks, feet or snouts for flavoring - generally dishes of German origin that used the pickle to offset the bitterness of cabbage.

Michael,

Not to start a pissing contest or anything but I do know the difference between lard and bacon drippings. If you read what I wrote I said "... something like that ..." Considering they are BOTH fat from the SAME animal :pig: I was making that correlation.

Ciao,

Corinne said:
How about real bacon drippings sold in a jar in the dairy case? Something along those lines? Great idea!

I've never seen that ever. Another convenience food.:)

LOL, I agree with Michael...why put more chemicals in your body when you can have it au natural. I used to have high cholesterol but always had a bit of the 'good' stuff as opposed to a lot of something that 'made do'.

Back
Top Bottom