"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Black Forest Cake

I am looking to make a black forest cake for my husbands birthday. Not a HUGE cake either, only feed 5-7 people, maybe with some leftovers, but nothing huge.

I know I need cherries- what kind of cake pans do I need?

Does anyone have a favorite black forest cake recipe they would like to share? or any links to a decent one?

Any tips and advice would be great as well, thanks!

:)

Old 05-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
You're going to need layer cake pans. I have a great recipe, but it's not in the computer, and I'm sure I won't have time to enter it tonight. I hope someone else comes up with one.
and the cherries you'll need are the big, dark, sweet ones.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

and from what I can recall, chocolate shavings for decoration?

What is the icing made out of? and what about inbetween layers?

I still have over a month to go, I like to plan in advance. :) AND just to make sure I have all of the ingredients...

Thank you!!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikinecook View Post
and from what I can recall, chocolate shavings for decoration?

What is the icing made out of? and what about inbetween layers?

I still have over a month to go, I like to plan in advance. :) AND just to make sure I have all of the ingredients...

Thank you!!
goggle black forest cake and you will have plenty of ideas and recipes.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I can easily do that, I just thought that someone in here might specialize in this area- so I just thought I would ask seems how this is a website/forum on cooking! ;) :)
Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Executive Chef

There are many variations of the black forest cake recipe. To our taste many of them are too sweet. We use Hainich brand sour cherries and sweet whipped cream in the filling, pure {not Dutch process) cocoa powder and finely grated dark chocolate in the cake dough and moisten the cake layers with a sprinkling of kirschwasser. We make two or three layers 4 to 5 cm thick for a whipped cream, cherry, and shaved chocolate covered cake about 20 cm tall. The cake is at it's best when refrigerated for 8 to 24 hours.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Senior Cook

black forest cake consists of chocolate cake, cherries, whipped cream & shaved chocolate.

most typically, a recipe for 1 chocolate cake would be baked off in 2 or perhaps 3 layers. i use a chocolate genoise, but a baking powder-raised cake will also do. the cakes are moistened with kirsch and then layered with cherries and whipped cream. it's a lot of work to destone them, but fresh cherries are much nicer than canned. finally, the top and sides are covered with whipped cream and shaved chocolate is applied.

if you have a large block of chocolate you can get nice looking curled shavings of chocolate by scraping the chocolate with a chef's knife or perhaps by using a peeler on the edge of a regular-sized chocolate bar. it takes a little practice so if you don't get good results you can use a grater for small shavings.

beyond using fresh cherries, i'd recommend toning down the sugar in the whipped cream and using a nice dark chocolate for the shavings. as
justplainbill mentioned, giving the cake a few hours to sit will make it better, by letting the moisture of the kirsch and whipped cream better permeate the cake.

it's usually built as a regular layer cake, there's no reason you couldn't put it together any way you want. baking it off in a sheet pan and making a roll cake might make a nice presentation, also. and of course, you should feel free to adapt it to your (or your husband's) personal tastes. sweet whipped cream, milk chocolate, etc. make it yours.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

That is awesome! Thank you so much! :D I am taking notes... cant wait to start gathering ingredients. I do have a huge block of chocolate at home to take shavings from so that is good!

Is the cake done is 2 layers?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
That is awesome! Thank you so much! :D I am taking notes... cant wait to start gathering ingredients. I do have a huge block of chocolate at home to take shavings from so that is good!

Is the cake done is 2 layers?
usually 3 layers.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I can easily do that, I just thought that someone in here might specialize in this area- so I just thought I would ask seems how this is a website/forum on cooking! ;) :)
was only trying to help . sorry