Black Forest Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stikinecook

Assistant Cook
I am looking to make a black forest cake for my husbands birthday. Not a HUGE cake either, only feed 5-7 people, maybe with some leftovers, but nothing huge.

I know I need cherries- what kind of cake pans do I need?

Does anyone have a favorite black forest cake recipe they would like to share? or any links to a decent one?

Any tips and advice would be great as well, thanks!

:)

You're going to need layer cake pans. I have a great recipe, but it's not in the computer, and I'm sure I won't have time to enter it tonight. I hope someone else comes up with one.
and the cherries you'll need are the big, dark, sweet ones.

and from what I can recall, chocolate shavings for decoration?

What is the icing made out of? and what about inbetween layers?

I still have over a month to go, I like to plan in advance. :) AND just to make sure I have all of the ingredients...

Thank you!!

and from what I can recall, chocolate shavings for decoration?

What is the icing made out of? and what about inbetween layers?

I still have over a month to go, I like to plan in advance. :) AND just to make sure I have all of the ingredients...

Thank you!!

goggle black forest cake and you will have plenty of ideas and recipes. :chef:

I can easily do that, I just thought that someone in here might specialize in this area- so I just thought I would ask seems how this is a website/forum on cooking! ;) :)

There are many variations of the black forest cake recipe. To our taste many of them are too sweet. We use Hainich brand sour cherries and sweet whipped cream in the filling, pure {not Dutch process) cocoa powder and finely grated dark chocolate in the cake dough and moisten the cake layers with a sprinkling of kirschwasser. We make two or three layers 4 to 5 cm thick for a whipped cream, cherry, and shaved chocolate covered cake about 20 cm tall. The cake is at it's best when refrigerated for 8 to 24 hours.

black forest cake consists of chocolate cake, cherries, whipped cream & shaved chocolate.

most typically, a recipe for 1 chocolate cake would be baked off in 2 or perhaps 3 layers. i use a chocolate genoise, but a baking powder-raised cake will also do. the cakes are moistened with kirsch and then layered with cherries and whipped cream. it's a lot of work to destone them, but fresh cherries are much nicer than canned. finally, the top and sides are covered with whipped cream and shaved chocolate is applied.

if you have a large block of chocolate you can get nice looking curled shavings of chocolate by scraping the chocolate with a chef's knife or perhaps by using a peeler on the edge of a regular-sized chocolate bar. it takes a little practice so if you don't get good results you can use a grater for small shavings.

beyond using fresh cherries, i'd recommend toning down the sugar in the whipped cream and using a nice dark chocolate for the shavings. as
justplainbill mentioned, giving the cake a few hours to sit will make it better, by letting the moisture of the kirsch and whipped cream better permeate the cake.

it's usually built as a regular layer cake, there's no reason you couldn't put it together any way you want. baking it off in a sheet pan and making a roll cake might make a nice presentation, also. and of course, you should feel free to adapt it to your (or your husband's) personal tastes. sweet whipped cream, milk chocolate, etc. make it yours. ;)

That is awesome! Thank you so much! :D I am taking notes... cant wait to start gathering ingredients. I do have a huge block of chocolate at home to take shavings from so that is good!

Is the cake done is 2 layers?

...Is the cake done is 2 layers?

it's a personal call depending on the ratio of whipped cream & cherries to cake that you want. my own personal preferance is 2 layers, to cut down the amount of whipped cream, but i only make this when cherries are in season and i load the top of the cake with cherries too, using the shaved chocolate around the side and a narrow border on the top edge. i'm also fairly liberal with the kirsch.

on the other hand, doing 3 layers will make the cake moister without as much kirsch. even another way to get a moister cake by "cheating" is to reduce the amount of sugar in the cake somewhat (or not) and then use a very light syrup (2 parts sugar:1 part water, brought to a boil and cooled) to moisten the cake. ;)

Ok I have heard of Kirsch before, but havnt used it- is it just to keep the cake moist?

I dont think I can buy any in this area- Is using your "cheating" method just as good??? :)

Ok I have heard of Kirsch before, but havnt used it- is it just to keep the cake moist?

I dont think I can buy any in this area- Is using your "cheating" method just as good??? :)

Kirschwasser is a clear cherry flavored liqueur. It should be available in most liquor stores.

it's usually built as a regular layer cake, there's no reason you couldn't put it together any way you want. baking it off in a sheet pan and making a roll cake might make a nice presentation, also.

I know nothing about this cake, and I'm a pitiful baker. You mentioned you only wanted a small cake, so I think this was a very good hint from Philso. I hope you'll take pictures for us when it's done? Good luck. ;)

I am not able to get to a store until October :( *sad*

Gosh, I just can't imagine. I know this is off topic, but I'm in a small town (although in California, a town of 39,000) I'd go crazy without getting to a store until October!! Are you comfortable sharing any more information?
Just reaching out a hand over the internet.:)

It is a life I am used to for sure! We do our shopping trips in the fall, and we buy enough for a year. Some stuff we can order online of course! Gotta love Ebay.... but most we buy at big wholesale stores and stock up! Sometimes it can be a pain, if you are missing ONE thing. Sometimes I get my parents to send someone if its small in the mail, or send a list with someone if they are going south also- so you have to be organized... :) Sometimes I go crazy, but its that much better after driving the 12+ hours to the city!

Back
Top Bottom