Black or Pinto in this Dill Veggie Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snemelka

Assistant Cook
Sauteed white onion and garlic, diced red potatoes and cut fresh green beans, dill and black pepper in chicken broth. Now I need non-meat protein, and I'm not sure whether black or pinto beans (the only two I have on hand) will go with this recipe best. If neither, what should I use now, and what kind of bean would go best with it in the future?

Sauteed white onion and garlic, diced red potatoes and cut fresh green beans, dill and black pepper in chicken broth. Now I need non-meat protein, and I'm not sure whether black or pinto beans (the only two I have on hand) will go with this recipe best. If neither, what should I use now, and what kind of bean would go best with it in the future?

I would use Navy or Great Northern or Cannellini Beans.

Yeah, white would be ideal in the future. My husband (we own rabbits) asked for rabbit meat, but I didn't have any cooked on hand.

I ended up adding the black beans, but that wasn't even important compared to what a friend on facebook suggested: SOUR CREAM.

I added some Creamy Mash instant mashed potatoes to thicken up my bowl and then added some Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream, and I am completely and totally in love with this soup. I shall post the ingredient for anyone who is interested now! I cannot tell you the measurements because I do not know them. But I wish I had added just a touch more garlic than I did (I probably added a teaspoon and a half of jarred crushed garlic).

White onions (maybe 1 c + a little)
crushed garlic (2 t)
fresh green beans, cut (lots)
red potatoes diced (all I had)
dried dill (2 T)
black pepper (just a touch)
"Better than Bouillon" chicken base (1 t/c of water)

1.5 15 oz cans drained black beans
1 15 oz can yellow corn

then when serving, I added just a little Creamy Mash instant mashed potatoes and some greek yogurt.

Last edited:
Thank you Patty! I'm writing this one down and adding white beans in the future.

Welcome to DC. I would use black beans with corn or garbanzo beans (but then, I like garbanzo beans with just about anything).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom