Blackened Chicken Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I should have worded that differently.

It became more of a national trend via Paul Prudhomme in the 1980's. But in many places (like here) you haven't seen in on a menu in 15 years. I know that's not the way in other parts of the country.
Yes... I bought a book of his mid-80's, I believe..

We had a lot of drop in co-workers back then and it was a fun thing to seat them in the kitchen and blacken fish in front of them.. Got some wild looks and satisfying smiles as they ate the fish..

I was fortunate to have a really hot stove with a very powerful fan and the smoke was not an issue in that particular home..

Ross

This ^.

II am a recent convert to enjoying blackened food. Recent as in last week in Florida when my family convinced me to try eating the grouper and snapper we caught the day before blackened. We brought our catch to a local restaurant where the chef cooks your catch for you (plus sides for $12 a plate).

We got the fish 3 ways, grilled, blackened, and fried.. The blackened fish filets were delicious. Like PPO says, the spices weren't burnt.

A word of caution, though. I've done some research on how to do it at home, and the butter in a screaming hot cast iron pan smokes like crazy. I'm going to try this using a high temp oil like grapeseed or canola, then add butter just before the end for flavor.

Why don't you try using Ghee? or gee (or golly gee whiz)
This ^^^
That was my first thought when I read Bucky's post.

You can try what ever you want, ghee or combination of butter and oil. I'm sticking to unsalted butter. Why change what works and possibly alter the flavor. Yes it smokes, but just about anything you use will smoke if you have the temperature where it needs to be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom