"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Blanching Chicken Wings?

I have a question about blanching chicken wings.

I am about to start a job working at a restaurant where we will be serving chicken wings... I have never worked with raw chicken wings before for restaurant use, in the past they have all been precooked and frozen.

My question is how do you properly prepare raw chicken wings in a restaurant? How long do you blanch them for? and how do you store them afterwards...and for how long?

Thanks to all who help :)

Old 09-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You never blanch chicken. Wings or otherwise. Once you begin the cooking process, you must cook them completely. Partially cooking meats (blanching) creates a prime growth medium for bacteria.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

So how does a restaurant prepare their wings and get them out in a timely fashion?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Mr. Greenjeans

Steam, then fry.

Bring your steamer up to a boil. Put your wings in a steamer basket and then turn the heat down to medium and steam for about 10 minutes.

This cooks them nicely and removes a lot of excess fat too! Blanching/boiling just pull to much flavor out of the wing and make them overly soggy (water and hot fat! EEK).
Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust87 View Post
So how does a restaurant prepare their wings and get them out in a timely fashion?

They are fully cooked then just popped into the fryer to crisp them up before service.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Is this a new restaurant you will be working in? Otherwise if they are established, they will have specific procedures for cooking the wings already.

We have a restaurant down the street from us appropriately named "Wings". Sundays they have 39 cent wings all day and put out hundreds of plates of them. I know the chef there and went in to help one Sunday. As Andy says, they prep all the wings they think they will need ahead of time, then drop them back in the oil for 2-3 minutes to heat and crisp and then add seasonings and/or sauces for the 28 flavours they offer.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
wings, even from frozen, won't take more than 9min in a fryer to be done.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Theyre best when theyre fried until cooked, stored in the cooler (approx 43 degrees) and refried until crispy to serve. They take about 8 minutes to pre-cook. And 5 to re-cook. I like em moderately crispy.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Yes, this is a new restaurant I'm working at... I was going over the menu and realized that I had never done wings from raw, I don't want to make any mistakes when it comes to chicken.

So from what I gather, the general consensus is to fry until cooked, refrigerate, re-fry until hot.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Head Chef

Are you the executive chef? If not, then like LP said, they (executive chef) will already have a procedure, even if it is a new restaurant. Interesting that they are using fresh (not frozen) chicken wings, kind of unusual for a commercial kitchen, unless that is their focus, fresh, never frozen. Personally, I would rather have IQF wings on hand, less contamination issues in the processing/storage issue.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote