Bland Chicken Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
slighly dark chicken stock, very flavorful too....

I throw, chicken, bones, peppercorns, and bay leaf, 1 sm or med clove of garlic (cut in half), 2 onions, 2 carrots and 2 stalks of celery (all chopped in big chunks and I BROWN chicken skin (both sides, AFTER browned and removed, put a tiny amount of water in pan to catch all those golden bits too) and throw all that in a pot with just enough cold water to cover. boil, then simmer for 1 hr 20minutes, strain everything thru either cheesecloth or fine sieve. I am a believer in what my italian Nana always said "It's a-no-a-stock without da-fats, or da-skin."
....... (after all did you ever wonder what that little pearl in all the chicken noodle soup boxes were ? .... a piece of fat) ...... BUT I say, you can always put your finished , sieved stock, in the fridge and just pluck the little fat blob off after it solidifies.

** Note, my Nana used to throw chicken legs in her stock pot too, and I always thought her stock was the best, till I walked into her kitchen one day and saw those feet sticking up, then I thought best to never look in her kitchen again while she was cooking. LOL
I NEVER throw in the feet. not brave enough .... LOL ... and I really do not taste the difference in the stock without them.

Last edited:
sorry meant to say chicken feet below http://wLOL I bet you're ALL curious NOW ! LOL

Put something strange like "chicken feet":chicken: in the subject and people tend to wonder .... LOL
This post is actually an "edit" to my post below v this one.

Last edited:
The south is great at using every part of the animal. I have a friend that grew up on a farm, he always says "we eat every part of the pig except the squeal!"

Classic chicken stock includes peppercorns, parsley stems (I save them in the freezer after using the leaves in other dishes), bay leaves and thyme sprigs for seasoning. Roasting or sautéing the veg will intensify the flavors. And adding a little bit of salt when you use it will bring out the flavors, too.

I usually make my chicken stock from the bones, skin, and bits of meet from previous cooked chicken and nothing else. I make vegi stock separately and add that later. I season when I use it.

My stock is made with left over carcasses from previously roasted birds, and with the wing tips left from the regular batches of wings I make. I roast it all in the oven, then cover with water. I add a mirepoix of onion, carrots and celery, bay leaf, and an herb bundle with black peppercorns, thyme, basil, kosher salt.... whatever sounds good at the time (Although I love garlic, I don't use it because it is a bit too strong and makes the stock unusable for some recipes). I simmer for several hours, then strain out the chunks, reduce it until it tastes right.

The first day we make some sort of soup before freezing the rest. This week it was a delicious black bean soup my wife found.

I "roast" under the broiler until everything is brown on all sides then add it to the pot with white wine, a couple smashed garlic cloves, mirepoix, bay leaf, and peppercorn. Cover with water and bring to a simmer for 2-3 hours stirring a few times. Works out pretty well.

Last edited:
Here ya go, Merstar:

Roasted Garlic Ice Cream with Raspberry Preserve Ribbon | The Saturday Evening Post

I like my chicken stock to taste like chicken too. I use Lo Salt as it's potassium rather than sodium chloride based, and you really can't tell the difference. Doesn't affect BP.

UCKKKKKK! Noooooo! Garlic ice cream!

I put the leftover baked chicken in sodium-free, low fat chicken broth and simmer for a long time. I add garlic and one-half package of dry ranch dressing and some Italian seasonings to it. It's wonderful!

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom