Bland Peaches need some improvement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Walmart had peaches for fifty cents a pound, and I figured out why. They are blech. No flavor. How do I resurrect them? I was thinking roasting or grilling, as that works for mediocre tomatoes, maybe with some brown sugar and a bit of butter?

Luckily I didn't buy as many as I was tempted to, they looked really good.

Grill with a bit of sugar as you said or make a jam or chutney.
You can also bake a pie or use them in fruit salad with more flavourful fruits.
Poach them in sweet spiced syrup or wine and serve with ice cream etc.
An easy way to get them to taste better is to slice them and place them in a bowl with a splash of lemon and some castor sugar. Let them sit till the sugar has melted and enjoy!

there's not much you can do but cook them down as you'd suggested to concentrate whatever flavour they contain, and add sugar.

there might be alcohol soluble flavours present, so cooking or soaking in vodka or white wine might work.

If you're not opposed to a little whiskey, these are both great:

Grill them and top with bourbon whipped cream. Yummm! Whip up some cream and as it starts to thicken add a generous splash or two of bourbon, a couple tablespoons of sugar and a bit of vanilla. Whip more until it's at the right consistency.

As an alternative you can also make a glaze. Combine equal amounts of honey and bourbon over lowish heat until it just simmers. Put a scoop of yogurt (or vanilla ice cream or whipped cream) on top of your grilled peach and spoon glaze over top of both.

Last edited:
Great ideas, all! Thanks!

Zereh, would dark rum work? We don't drink bourbon, but have some nice Anejo.

Aha! Pyrotechnics and Peaches Foster!

Last edited:
Walmart had peaches for fifty cents a pound, and I figured out why. They are blech. No flavor. How do I resurrect them? I was thinking roasting or grilling, as that works for mediocre tomatoes, maybe with some brown sugar and a bit of butter?

Luckily I didn't buy as many as I was tempted to, they looked really good.

Just gripes me to no end when that happens and I won't put up with it anymore!!! :mad:

After returning several bags of inferior fruit to the store for credit, I've become chummy with the produce guy and he's become accustomed to cutting open a piece of fruit for me to taste it. Personally, I think he should get a gold star as employee of the year.

I was hoping they'd be good enough that I could pick up some more, Kayelle. There were tons. Never thought about returning them! Luckily, I only got a few pounds.

Selkie, I liked the tips. Am thinking I may try the peach butter.

Hmm. Rum-peach butter. (just not for breakfast before work...)

Thanks, all!

Last edited:
there was a time our home was surrounded by peach, plum and cherry trees, and my dad busied himself supplying us with plenty of dried fruit - always a favorite in my book. don't know how much work drying fruit would be without a dehydrator, but i know it can be done, over time, in the sun, in a slow oven. dried fruit is a perfect solution for not-so-great peaches. the resulting flavor is so concentrated and sweet, and makes for satisfying, long lasting, chewy snacking fruit. selkie's peach site is a keeper--comprehensive peach package. :)

vitauta said:
there was a time our home was surrounded by peach, plum and cherry trees, and my dad busied himself supplying us with plenty of dried fruit - always a favorite in my book. don't know how much work drying fruit would be without a dehydrator, but i know it can be done, over time, in the sun, in a slow oven. dried fruit is a perfect solution for not-so-great peaches. the resulting flavor is so concentrated and sweet, and makes for satisfying, long lasting, chewy snacking fruit. selkie's peach site is a keeper--comprehensive peach package. :)

I forgot about drying, Vit! And I have a dehydrator! Many good ideas, may need to go back and get more cheap, crappy peaches. Or try to find some good ones...

my grandparents had apples, pears and peaches in their "yard" -

each year was different - they didn't swap out the tree or change out the soil. weather conditions play a huge role in fruit "quality" / taste

I always smell my peaches before buying. I check for firmness (want a little give) and then sniff. If I can smell the peach aroma, it goes in the bag, if I can't it goes back on the pile. I don't know if this is "proper" but it seems to work for me. I rarely get bad peaches doing this.

I know, I should have been more diligent and sniffed 'em, but they looked so pretty. Went from $1.25 a pound to 50 cents. No wonder.

On the upside, I found the Topsy Turvy Tomato planters in clearance for $1.00, regular $9.95!

I have just given up on grocery store peaches. If I can't get to the orchard to buy them, I don't bother. And even then, they can be tasteless, especially the late peaches. I have frozen, canned and made peach butter of inferior peaches, and my recommendation is--don't bother. They don't improve.

I do have VERY high standards for peaches, so YMMV. :)

i haven't discovered a reliable test for good, flavorful, juicy peaches. the smell can be heavenly even while the fruit itself is mealy. yechh. to me, the worst sin any peach can commit is that of mealiness. but, without breaking open the fruit, i know of no way to detect a mealy peach. soo, what i occasionally do, is a small taste test. yep. i do it, furtively, and without the advise or consent of anyone. the test peach, if a winner, goes into the bag along with the rest of my purchases. the really mealy test peach, on the other hand, has been known to make its way, discreetly, to a trash barrel locatedin the produce area of the store....if store management wishes to discourage fruit self-tests such as mine, they really should consider setting out samples of sliced fruit themselves....

I hear ya, Sparrowgrass. Am thinking the least painful thing to do with them is dehydrate. At least then I can use them in other stuff.

Oh well. We tried.

Lol, Vit! Drive- by peach chomps! Start a fund to bail me out of jail!

Last edited:
I know, I should have been more diligent and sniffed 'em, but they looked so pretty. Went from $1.25 a pound to 50 cents. No wonder.

On the upside, I found the Topsy Turvy Tomato planters in clearance for $1.00, regular $9.95!

topsy turvies were $19.95 last time i looked, dawg. you did good! sparrowgrass, what does ymmv stand for? acronyms--gi, omcz. (generationally incompatible, outside my comfort zone) :ermm::)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom