"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Posts: 30
Blitzing herbs over chopping for stock?

I recently decided to blitz my herbs (thyme and rosemary) in a little water to mix into a soup stock I was making because my knife isn't very sharp and I wanted all of the flavour.

Usually this is chopped finely, but surely blitzing would be even better?

__________________

hueberttix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueberttix View Post
I recently decided to blitz my herbs (thyme and rosemary) in a little water to mix into a soup stock I was making because my knife isn't very sharp and I wanted all of the flavour.

Usually this is chopped finely, but surely blitzing would be even better?
Blitz? You mean in a blender? Never heard that term before, but if that’s what it means, I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work...
__________________

__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Posts: 30
It was as you guessed, processed in a blender.

I don't think it made any difference, but just wondered why it wasn't more common, if not for presentational purposes.
hueberttix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,197
If it's a long-cooking stock, you won't even have to blitz it.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueberttix View Post
It was as you guessed, processed in a blender.

I don't think it made any difference, but just wondered why it wasn't more common, if not for presentational purposes.
I have never chopped herbs for stock - always just broken them into pieces and thrown them into the pot. I strain all the solids out before using it, since they have given up all their flavor and they don't look very good. I don't think they'll add much for presentation.

I don't use rosemary in stock - it's very strong. For herbs, I use bay leaves, thyme and parsley stems (save the leaves for another use).
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,592
This is the stock I made a couple weeks ago. Turned out great. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_142803.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	33783
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Blitz? You mean in a blender? Never heard that term before, but if that’s what it means, I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work...
You never heard of blitzkrieg?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Posts: 30
GotGarlic : looks good. Mine was a slow cook, I reduced it a little too much over two hours (covered) to fashion into concentrated cubes for another time.

• stock : https://i.postimg.cc/w7V3YMDP/stock.png
• stock cubes : https://i.postimg.cc/ft9kGvvj/stock-Cubes.png
• herbs blitzed : https://i.postimg.cc/fRhCcbRh/blitzed.png


I wanted to make sure all of the flavour came out of mine, so I crushed my garlic (only half a bulb) and blitzed the herbs (an improvement over my old recipe was to use three times the Rosemary in my notes!).
hueberttix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueberttix View Post
GotGarlic : looks good. Mine was a slow cook, I reduced it a little too much over two hours (covered) to fashion into concentrated cubes for another time.

• stock : https://i.postimg.cc/w7V3YMDP/stock.png
• stock cubes : https://i.postimg.cc/ft9kGvvj/stock-Cubes.png
• herbs blitzed : https://i.postimg.cc/fRhCcbRh/blitzed.png

I wanted to make sure all of the flavour came out of mine, so I crushed my garlic (only half a bulb) and blitzed the herbs (an improvement over my old recipe was to use three times the Rosemary in my notes!).
I don't think it's necessary, but if you want to take the extra step, it sure won't hurt
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:04 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You never heard of blitzkrieg?
Of course! It was when, at the end of WWII, RAF pilots used Fokker and Messerschmitt propellers to make smoothies!

I’d never heard the word in relation to cooking, or blenders, GG.
__________________

__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
herbs, stock

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.