Blue cheese crumbles - what do you do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I love blue cheese (or gorgonzona). I like to make an incredibly delicious sauce with it, or top a hamburger.

What do you do with it?

I love Bleu Cheese Vinaigrette. I also love Bleu Cheese melted on sandwiches and burgers, on top of crackers, right out of the carton. I have to make sure I have enough to share with Latté, she eats more than I do.

I love Bleu Cheese Vinaigrette. I also love Bleu Cheese melted on sandwiches and burgers, on top of crackers, right out of the carton. I have to make sure I have enough to share with Latté, she eats more than I do.

She has Taste! BC is one of my favorite treats. I don't think I've ever come up with a use I didn't love.

I've never tried it on crackers. It's so good in sauces. How do you make your vinagrette and where do you use it?

I use it on salads and steaks:

1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 sugar
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 green onion, thin sliced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup EVOO

Put all in jar and shake.

Stick of butter, 4oz of blue cheese, chopped garlic, rosemary and shallot. A dash of Worcestershire, a splash of port, and cracked black pepper. Mix all in a mixer, or with a fork in a bowl(once butter is room temp), great compound butter for steaks(anything red meat, really).

Nice wedge of Iceberg Lettuce, Grape Tomatoes, Cracked Black Pepper, crumbles, and red wine vinaigrette, classic wedge salad.

Pizza of thin sliced, paper thin pear, caramelized onion, and blue cheese is nothing short of magical.

Pizza with garlic butter base, mozz, fontina, ricotta, and crumbles is a GREAT quatro formagio.

Blue Cheese stuffed figs, with a little balsamic reduction.

When doing potatoes au gratin, a little blue crumbles makes for a nice, sharp salty addition, without being too over powering.

A BLT, with homemade Blue Cheese spread is awesome, imo.

Classic fondue, using the blue to finish, enough just for a sharp bite, but not over powering, great with bread, veggies, fruit, and meat.

Good Morning,

What a super post !

Firstly, blue cheeses ... These are some of the ways we enjoy Gorgonzola, Roquefort, amongst others ...

There is a Bavarian Blue one that Princess Fiona suggested to me ... And I have meant to thank her, however, there are so many hours in the day of a journalist ! I have been able to purchase it ... and then, we were in Puglia ... so, now it is back to normal ...

1) Blue cheese in an array of assorted international cheeses, crusty bread and a good red or white wine with a touch of oak ... The Mediterranean Trilogy ... Always lovely ...

2) Blue cheese spread ( gorgonzola ) with a drizzle of honey and lavendar herb ...

3) Pears, blue cheese and Rocket or Arugula ... Vinaigrette ...

4) Crumbled blue in a rare burger ( see the post of Blue cheese burger ) ...

5) just by itself, with a fruit or glass of wine --- I am a cheese-oholic, and do not need anything much with a great blue ... just a slow sipping full bodied wine shall do ... great bread ...

6) a salad that includes walnuts with blue cheese ... nice touch ...

7) a baked macaroni with blue cheese topping --- I had posted one in the Pasta Section a month ago ... Timballi ...

Fiona: thanks for the vinaigrette dressing on this post. It is on my list of tries for the weekend.

Kindest,
Margi.

I like it on a bacon cheeseburger, a salad, or a baked potato.

It is also good mixed into the dressing for a Waldorf salad!

Apologies, having computer crazy issues at office today. Thought I had lost the original post I had made ...

Super Post !

Blue cheese, whether it is Gorgonzola, Roquefort or Bavarian Blue, the old Mediterranean Trilogy still applies ... An array of international cheeses, including a blue variety, oak aged wine red or white, and crusty bread ...

Other lovely dishes with blue are:

1. a quattro formaggio pizza ... ( 4 cheese pìzza with a blue combined with three other cheeses )

2. blue cheese spread: gorgonzola with a drizzle of honey and lavendar herb

3. blue cheese inside a rare rare burger ( see post )

4. blue cheese with fresh fruit and rocket or arugula and a lovely vinaigrette

5. just a piece of cheese and a cracker or bread stick ! and a glass of wine

Kind regards and thanks for all the ideas.
Margi.

Last edited:
SPINACH AND BLUE CHEESE SAUCE

INGREDIENTS:

300 gr. fresh or frozen spinach

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion finely chopped

1 cup (200 ml) low fat heavy cream

4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (Gorgonzola, Stilton)

4 tablespoons grated hazelnuts

white or black pepper

and 4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Use a wide frying pan to toast the sesame seeds. Put it in the top of the stove and fry the seeds on a medium heat with no oil. Just lift and shake the pan from time to time until sesame seeds are toasted. Put them in a small bowl and leave them aside.

Take a small pan with high lids. Put the oil inside when it is hot add the onion. Fry it on medium heat and add hot water if needed. Cook the onion until it is tender. Then add heavy cream, blue cheese, grated hazelnuts and simmer for 5 minutes.

Serve the sauce on the top of your pasta and sprinkle with toasted sesame seed and white pepper.Also use it to spread on toasted bread when you have a party and you are serving finger food. Use this sauce as a base for your pizza.

There is a brand of roguefort, called Papillon. The black label is my favorite. We'll just have that on crackers or by itself. Great stuff.

MMM, love them all, stilton, gorgonzola, roquefort, blue brie, blacksticks blue. I use all of them in a similar way to Margi.

However, I am making one of my favourite Delia Smith recipes this week, Spinach and Ricotta lasagne with pine nuts, its very indulgent and absolutely wonderful.

Stick of butter, 4oz of blue cheese, chopped garlic, rosemary and shallot. A dash of Worcestershire, a splash of port, and cracked black pepper. Mix all in a mixer, or with a fork in a bowl(once butter is room temp), great compound butter for steaks(anything red meat, really).

Nice wedge of Iceberg Lettuce, Grape Tomatoes, Cracked Black Pepper, crumbles, and red wine vinaigrette, classic wedge salad.

Pizza of thin sliced, paper thin pear, caramelized onion, and blue cheese is nothing short of magical.

Pizza with garlic butter base, mozz, fontina, ricotta, and crumbles is a GREAT quatro formagio.

Blue Cheese stuffed figs, with a little balsamic reduction.

When doing potatoes au gratin, a little blue crumbles makes for a nice, sharp salty addition, without being too over powering.

A BLT, with homemade Blue Cheese spread is awesome, imo.

Classic fondue, using the blue to finish, enough just for a sharp bite, but not over powering, great with bread, veggies, fruit, and meat.

Ooooooooooh! Tatt! Great ideas! I'm drooling.

When growing up in northern MN, one of our favorites was to make blue cheese dressing and use it as a dip for french fries...or fried green beans...ah...memories.

My cat adores smoked gouda and bacon, but that's all with people food, he's weird.

I love blue cheese on a burger, either crumbled with some mayo, or a nice blue cheese dressing/spread.

I love blue cheese (or gorgonzona). I like to make an incredibly delicious sauce with it, or top a hamburger.

What do you do with it?

One of my favorite pairings with blue cheese is Beets.
Beets (or apples or pears), blue cheese, thinly-sliced red onion & walnuts, over spinach or mixed salad greens. If I have garbanzo beans, I add that to the salad, as well.

Blue cheese, buttermilk, butter & chive mashed potatoes.

Blue cheese & bacon pair well - in a salad, stuffed pork chops, or stuffed chicken breasts. Alternately, a pat of blue cheese compound butter for stuffing pork chops or chicken breasts.

Grilled halved peaches filled with blue cheese.

I have a recipe for blue cheese potato pancakes with a walnut crust, I had forgotten about. Might have to give that a go.

Buffalo chicken wings with celery sticks & blue cheese dressing.

Last edited:
Z,
I make a chive pesto with 4oz. of Gorgonzola but blue cheese crumbles can be add I use a 1/2 cup of the blue cheese mashed. for the pesto I use 3-4 large bunches about 2oz. fresh 3 large cloves garlic minced1/2 c. parsley,1/2c. chopped toasted walnuts salt and evoo about a 1/2 -3/4 c.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom