Boil the onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
So I'm reading this recipe for chili, and part of the directions go like this:

"Heat oil in a pot, and brown the beef. Add the cooked sausage to the pot. Add the finely chopped onion and beef broth to cover the meat. Boil for 15 minutes. Add oregano and half of the cumin. Reduce heat to a light boil, and then add the garlic."

It then continues with other directions, and cooks for about 1.5 more hours on a simmer. My question is, can you really extract a good flavor from onions by boiling them? I'm just used to sauteing them anytime I use them in a dish, not boiling them in broth. Same goes with the garlic.

My answer is yes you can extract the onion flavor by "boiling" or simmering. When sauteing onions I am trying to caramelize them to bring out a sweetness, and add another layer of flavor. The end result in a pot of chili may not make a noticeable difference. That being said, I would say do whatever you prefer. After all it's your pot of chili!!

Enjoy!

the times seem a little bit too long for My personal tastes, but as Bob said yes you can a get very strong onion taste this way, I`m just an advocate of "not cooking all the Love out of it".

some dishes can be easily ruined by cooking for too long.

I think that by finely chopping your onion as the recipe says to do the recipe is more or less infusing the whole dish with the onion flavor rather than having chunks of onion to actually chew. That works for me in this case. And yes, your dish will have a nice onion flavor. It just won't have chunks of onion. So - if you want chunks of onion chop up some big chunks and add to the meat mixture when browning. Leave some finely diced and add according to the recipe.

Hello Chave :)

Yeah, I think the onions will give off a good flavour to the broth, when they are boiled. I sometimes do that.

Mel

This is how you make any flavorful broth - add bones (if making a meat or poultry broth) along with veggies (usually onions, carrots and celery) and simmer it for a couple of hours. When you strain out the solids, the veggies are cooked to death with no flavor left in them - it's all in the broth :)

I think it is imperative to read the original question before answering. I don't mean to sound snarky but a lot of time can be wasted by giving answers that don't correspond to the question at hand. No one is making broth here. Chili is the subject along with the way the onions are added to it.

I've boiled/simmered both onions & garlic in a number of recipes, & the recipes come out fine. The onion/garlic flavor is there, but not overly ostentatious. I say try it & see how you like it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. : )

Thanks for the advice! Will give it a try...lots of ingredients go into this chili, so I'm hoping it'll be a winner at our chili cook-off on Friday..

When ever I make chili I all ways boil my veggies including onions diced very fine it give you chili a depth of flavor not obtainable any other way go for it

Back
Top Bottom