"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Likely, if you were friends with the operator of the stand in the photo, you could have access to the hard cider jug or the more potent applejack brandy jug behind the counter.

GLC, thank you for the info. I'm always very interested in all food things around the globe.

Now I'll open another thread, to avoid going off topic, about soft and hard cider

Old 08-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Likely, if you were friends with the operator of the stand in the photo, you could have access to the hard cider jug or the more potent applejack brandy jug behind the counter.
What kind of proof or percentage alcohol would that be?

I'll have to check out the cane syrup. I often get better results by substituting ingredients with less processed versions they come from.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Head Chef

Figure something like 96 to 100 proof for commercial straight apple brandy, less if diluted like Calvados down into the 80's. The homemade might vary considerably, from mild to leaving holes in your clothes if it gets on you.

There's some variation in what some words mean here. "Applejack" can refer to apple brandy, but it can also refer to a beverage made by freezing finished apple wine and removing the crystalized water. It was popular in the New England area, because the colder you can get it, the more water can be removed, and they had the cold and apples to spare. As you remove water, the proof rises, and the freezing point drops. At 30F below zero, it can drive the percentage of alcohol to 30%.

So hard cider is about 5%. Apple wine is 10%-12%. And fractionally freeze crystalized applejack 14% (at zeroF) to 30%. The interesting thing is that it doesn't matter how strong the apple wine is in the beginning. The strength of the applejack is determine by the temperature. The apple flavor also concentrates, which another of its charms. Works with all wines, too.

There's also an "ice cider" or "icewine" that's made with cold fermentation, either from apple cider that's frozen or from apples that have been left on the tree to freeze. 7% to 13% alcohol.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I think I'll stick with my Everclear. It can make anything any proof you want!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
Master Chef

I thought Applejack was a breakfast cereal!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I am a west coast girl transplanted to the east.

Today while shopping I saw something I have never ever seen before. It was a huge mega sized display of canned boiled peanuts.

I have no idea what in the world a person does with these.

I'm sure there are a few here who can teach this old dog a new trick
All I can say is that it must be an acquired taste, or you have to grow up with it, because I tried them one time and never, never will again. I can't even describe it, or relate it to anything else I've ever eaten, but I found them to be quite disgusting.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Living in the South, boile peanuts are a favorite snack. I have tried them and do not care for them, give me dry roasted anytime. There are roadside stands all over the place in the summer months of locals who make their own. Once I found out some people make them in their bathtubs that did it for me. Ewwww!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
Head Chef

In the Slow Cooker:

Sina's Georgia-Style Boiled Peanuts

Southern boiled peanuts are easily made in your slow cooker . They typically take all day on the stovetop, but with this recipe you can start them before bed and have them ready for tailgating the next afternoon.

Yield: 18 cups

2 pounds raw peanuts -- in shell
3/4 cup salt -- (3/4 to 1)
12 cups water

1. Combine all ingredients in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 18 hours or until peanuts are soft. Drain peanuts before serving or storing. Store in zip-top plastic bags in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

2. Cajun Boiled Peanuts: Add 1 (3-ounce) package boil-in-bag shrimp and crab boil and 1/3 to 1/2 cup hot sauce (we tested with Frank's) to slow cooker before cooking.

3. Freeze It!: Freeze these peanuts in zip-top freezer bags up to 2 months. Reheat them in the microwave before serving.

Web Page: Sina's Georgia-Style Boiled Peanuts Recipe | MyRecipes.com

-------------------------
In the Pressure Cooker:

Boiled Peanuts

1 lb of raw, in-shell peanuts

1. Wash 1 pound of raw, in-shell peanuts thoroughly in cool water. Place 6 cups of water in a 6- or 8- quart pressure cooker. Stir in 1/3 cup salt. Add peanuts. Close cover securely. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Cook 40 minutes at 15 pounds of pressure. Let pressure drop of its own accord. Let peanuts cool in cooking water, then drain.