"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Boiling Chicken Broth why does it explode?

My mother does a chicken and rice dish. She boils chicken broth (and eventually puts the rice in it), today the broth made a small explosion, and the broth went all over the kitchen.I asked her how can chicken broth explode?? She said it occasionally will do this, andbody know why and or what can be done to prevent this?
Thanks.
don

Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

How did you cook the chicken broth? And when it exploded, was the rice in it? Or only the chicken? How long did you cook it before it exploded? Was the chicken completely thawed out before cooking?

I cooked chicken broth before many many times and never had it explode.

What I do normally is to thaw out the chicken completely first and put the chicken (and whatever vegetables I want to cook with) in a pot with water (just covering the chicken). Then put it to boil (and eventually simmer) for about 1 and half hours. Then I can use the broth for anything afterwards (like you did to cook rice) or just add in mushrooms etc and serve it as soup or consomme...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi, Don. Welcome to DC.

Sometimes, the broth gets super hot, over the boiling point, without bubbling completely. When you add the rice, that gives the bubbles a place to form and all of a sudden they bubble up all at once and spill over.

Simple solution: Stick a spoon on the broth and stir it for a few seconds before adding any other ingredients,

Also, turn off the heat and let the broth cool for 15 seconds before adding the rice.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
Master Chef

It has something to do with the surface tension. The spoon will do it. This happens a lot with microwaving. That is to say, the liquid coming to beyond boiling temps without actually boiling, then exploding on contact. Another solution is to bring it slowly to a boil, stirring as you go. The exploding chicken stock is a mess to clean up, AND very, and I do mean very, dangerous. If that hits your face you won't be happy.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hi, Don. Welcome to DC.

Sometimes, the broth gets super hot, over the boiling point, without bubbling completely. When you add the rice, that gives the bubbles a place to form and all of a sudden they bubble up all at once and spill over.

Simple solution: Stick a spoon on the broth and stir it for a few seconds before adding any other ingredients,

Also, turn off the heat and let the broth cool for 15 seconds before adding the rice.
If it is exploding because of this (super heating) then sticking the spoon in and stirring before adding the other ingredients is not a good idea. If it is super heating then when you stick the spoon in that will give the bubbles a place to form and it will then explode all over your arm.

A better suggestion is to put something in the broth before you start to heat it. It can even be something as small as a single grain of rice. I know of people who put a toothpick in or a straw. This super heating only happens with microwave heating though as far as I know. Is this how you are heating your broth?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If it is exploding because of this (super heating) then sticking the spoon in and stirring before adding the other ingredients is not a good idea. If it is super heating then when you stick the spoon in that will give the bubbles a place to form and it will then explode all over your arm.

A better suggestion is to put something in the broth before you start to heat it. It can even be something as small as a single grain of rice. I know of people who put a toothpick in or a straw. This super heating only happens with microwave heating though as far as I know. Is this how you are heating your broth?

This happens to me frequently when I'm boiling water or broth for rice. The spoon triggers a much milder reaction. A couple of stirs and you're all set.

With the rice, you have a lot of little pieces going in at once so you get a more violent and immediate reaction.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Wow, never had chicken broth explode. I have had it boil over when adding rice. MAybe it is because I stir it as Andy suggests.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Yikes! I've been making chicken stock/soup for years and have never experienced that. Thank goodness!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Mr. Greenjeans

I have never had this happen with broth but I have had it happen when I make beer.

Sometimes, when I add the malt sugar, the air that is mixed in with the malt powder will become super heated and expand rapidly causing it to "erupt". This is not the same effect as the microwave superheating effect. this is almost the same effect as throwing water into hot fat (water sinks, turns to steam, rapidly expands, sends hot oil everywhere) just not quite as violent. Still pretty dangerous though.

I get around it by easing my ingredients in rather than dumping in a big lump.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I hear you! Have had similar experiences with malt erupting all over the stove. What a sticky mess that can be. Making wort is definitely something that needs to be closely watched.