Boiling potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've started baking potatoes in the microwave for potato salad and mashed potatoes both. It's just easier and less messy than boiling them.

An important tip to remember is to either try and buy potatoes that are roughly all the same size, or go ahead and cut them as needed into halves or quarters if some or all are uneven. That way, they'll all cook evenly you won't have some pieces still raw in the middle while some are falling apart.

Good point, IC.
I actually would have prefered the potatoes cubed, but the recipe called for sliced, so that's what I went with. I didn't know if sliced was more traditional in German potato salad..... or maybe presented more surface area for the sauce. For the same reasons you never see scalloped or au grautin potatoes cubed.

I'm thinking my biggest mistake was cooking them for 30 minutes because that is what the recipe called for. How did it know how big my spuds were? And like mentioned, the sauce would continue to cook them when I mixed them back in after slicing.

It's not always possible to buy same sized potatoes so I go with testing for doneness and taking them out of the boiling water 1 or 2 at a time as they are done.

It's not always possible to buy same sized potatoes so I go with testing for doneness and taking them out of the boiling water 1 or 2 at a time as they are done.

Andy, that's just way too easy :rolleyes:
It never crossed my mind, and of course they are going to stay hot if that's how you want to keep them them. Thanks.

I never said I was born with any common sense :wacko:

Pacanis, I boil whole clothed potatoes for german potato salad until they are done. When they cool enough to handle I peel and slice them into my serving dish or casserole. I cook the bacon in small slices--cutting the existing slices into 1 inch pieces, it's just easier and more even for cooking. (while the bacon is in the plastic package half thawed, I cut through the top of the package and bacon until I reach the thick plastic under the bacon) Take bacon out when crisp, add vinegar, sugar, S&P to the bacon fat, boil for a moment and pour over the potato slices. Serve hot or cold.
(some people also add water or some other liquid, and a thickening agent)

Maybe you could just undercook them a little? They would continue cooking while they cool. This is in reference to the Idaho or Russet potatoes. Just a thought...

I agree Bliss! Now for peeling beets ... might not be too bad :rolleyes:.

My recipe is very similar to yours, Bliss. I'm one of those, though, that adds a little water with corn starch mixed in, just to give it some extra thickness.

MMMM ... it's a chilly day here. Might be a good German Potato salad day!

Back
Top Bottom