Boiling potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I found a recipe for German potato salad. It calls for boiling the potatoes, then slicing them. Why not slice them first is what I am wondering...
Is there any benefit to keeping certain foods whole when you boil them, when you are just going to cut them up later? Is this being done because I am going to pull them, then add them back in? So basically I can slice them when the other stuff is cooking?

they will stay together better if you boil, then slice.... otherwise they fall apart too badly for potato salad. You'll have mashed potatoes.
It also doesn't make the potato lose as much starch... keeping its texture.
(why am I getting paranoid about the wording of everything I type?????)
:)

Thanks Suzi! Together they will be!
Getting them started as soon as I'm done typing this.

Yeah, a lot of that going around, huh? I'm even hitting spellcheck more than usual. Wait, is spellcheck one word or two? lol

If you use waxy potatoes (non-starchy), like red potatoes, they should stay firm even after boiling. Yukon Gold will stay together, too. I used these all the time for potato salad and I always peel and slice before boiling.

Avoid starchy potatoes like russets and Idaho for boiling; they fall apart easily and are great for mashing. HTH.

Well, I stayed away from making cold potato salad because all the recipes I found said to use red potatoes, something I don't have.
But I found a hot German potato salad that did not say what kind of potato to use, so I went with my russets. I cooked them for the time specified and they looked like fish that had been dead in the water for a while. Kind of flaking and falling apart, but they didn't really taste done..... They sliced easily, but my home fries are more tender.

Guess I should have used the reds or not pealed them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Since we're down to DW and me at home and are no longer cooking for 5 people, we have treated ourselves to using redskin potatoes for a lot of our potato dishes. We find the flavor to be very appealing, and we leave the skins on as well, even the mashed potatoes.

I'm surprised that the cold potato salad recipes you found all call for redskins. Until just the last few years, I never knew that potato salad was made with anything other than ordinary potatoes. You can take those same recipes and substitute whatever potatoes you have available and it should taste just fine.

Joe

I like red potatoes for potato salad especially German but I often use whatever I have on hand for cold potato salad. I think the reds are better for the German because they do hold up better hot.

On another note, shouldn't we always be watching our p's and q's?:whistling

I use Russets for my cold potato salid. I like the taste. I peel and cube first. When cooking them, I sample frequently, like every minute or so near the end. I look for the slightest bit of mush on the outside. Definitely not soft. It works for me.
I would use reds for german, if I knew how to make it. Can't find a recipe I like.

Whew! I got through that without using but :) :) :)

Typed on my handheld - No spell check available.

The recipe called for 30 minutes of boiling. Typically when I make mashed I cut the potatoes into quarters, maybe less depending on the size, but I think I only boil them around 15 minutes. They do not have that falling apart appearance, nor does the water look like a pot full of starch. I'm not giving up though!

Here's the recipe I used AC Hot German Potato Salad III - Allrecipes

I've found that when I make German Potato Salad, even though my potatoes are still a little firm, they tend to soften up when I reheat my salad. It's the same theory as cold Potato Salad or like pasta in a salad, the potatoes are going to absorb some of the "sauce" or dressing and will soften up.

As far as peeling and slicing pre cooking, I boil mine skins and all. I let them cool slightly then peel and slice (or cube for cold salad). I think the potato holds together better and doesn't get that fishy look you are talking about. Even for DH's Sweet Mashed Potato Salad, we boil fully "clothed" even though they get mashed.

Hope that helps ...

Sometimes I boil potatoes for salad...Mostly I bake them. Sometimes I even leave the skin on.....

Have Fun!!

Yes sir, thats how my Mom did it. Baked with the skin on(the red ones) and she peeled them while they were hot! Still dont know how she did it, I cant hold a hot potato long enough to peel it:LOL:
pacanis, are you boiling the potato WHOLE, meaning you didnt cut it at all? I at least cut them in half, if not in quarters, and it works fine for me that way.
hmmm...is my gramma bad? dunno, dont care, I gots more portant tings ta worry bout:ROFLMAO:

I boil then skin on too...
Sorry Pacanis I suppose I assumed that part... I feel like I ruined your salad!

Yes Kathe, the recipe called for boiling them whole, so that's what I did..... but then, it also called for cooking the bacon whole then crumbling, and I'm still not sure why I could not have cut the bacon into pieces, then cooked it.
I prefer the skin on my spuds in most things, but thought for a salad they would look better with the skin off, but I can now see how that would have protected the potatoes from flaking apart.

So let's say next time I cook them with the skin on, do I need to prick them as if I were baking them?

Suzi, you didn't ruin anything!

I keep a knife handy by the pot and occasionally stab a potato. If the knife goes in easily, it's done. I've never timed boiling potatoes.

I also boil them whole in their skins. I use reds or Yukons.

... So let's say next time I cook them with the skin on, do I need to prick them as if I were baking them? ...

No ... pricking them before you boil will actually make them start to split in those spots, defeating your purpose of protecting the potato inside.

I've never understood the cook then crumble theory either. It seems easier to cut it all up and cook. I also think you get more uniform bites.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom