"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Cook

Yeah, what he said :D

But I use a moistened/wet squeezed out paper towel on top, and I let it set in the micro about 3-5 min before eating, this works great for me.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i just cut in bite size pieces , use about 2 tablespoons water in a covered container. pop in micro. time will vary according to amount of potatoes. to bake in micro, poke a hole in baker pot. put folded paper towel under it (them) to absorb the moisture. time will vary, i check at five min. if only doing one. i probably use my micro more than most. pretty much only fry food on stove top

Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
Mr. Greenjeans

I use a pressure cooker to boil my potatoes. You don't have to submerge them in water to get the same effect. The less water (to a point) the faster it comes up to pressure. After its up the pressure, turn the burner down to half and let them cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Tender everytime. I do this to make mashed potatoes and as the first step to crash potatoes as well.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

Since you have "very little free time" I say just bake in microwave. No water just oput th epotato in M and cook for 7 minutes or so, depending on size time will change. Potaato is done, you can pretty much do anything with it as if you would do with boil potato.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

When I want to make fast "baked" potatoes, I just stab the potato several times in different places with a fork, and then wrap the potato in a paper towel and then microwave it for about 5-10 minutes. Then I take it out and let it sit. It's important to stab the holes, so that the steam created by the potato can be captured by the towel and be used to cook it.

I've never had any trouble using this method, and I tend to prefer it because the potatoes have a kind of difficult to describe like creamy texture as opposed to a flaky texture after they are baked in an oven.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenice View Post
I do notice difference in the taste between the meal here in university and at home. Maybe the potatoes in UK taste differently or it might be because I used to boil them the usual way back at home and in UK I microwave-boil them. Which one might be it?
Potatoes *are* different in the UK. In the UK, they grow/import different varieties than in the US. Even a simple jacket potato in the UK is not usually made from the same russet variety that is typical in the US. It makes a world of difference. A potato samosa in the US tastes vastly different than one anywhere else in the world. The taste difference can be subtle, though... like the difference between a spanish onion and a shallot.

I don't think it's your technique, although, I do think that microwaving does give an "off" flavor to foods and I rarely use one (only heating option at work).
Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Potatoes *are* different in the UK. In the UK, they grow/import different varieties than in the US. Even a simple jacket potato in the UK is not usually made from the same russet variety that is typical in the US. It makes a world of difference. A potato samosa in the US tastes vastly different than one anywhere else in the world. The taste difference can be subtle, though... like the difference between a spanish onion and a shallot.

I don't think it's your technique, although, I do think that microwaving does give an "off" flavor to foods and I rarely use one (only heating option at work).
Actually I was comparing it to Omani Potatoes but yeah they do taste different!

And i agree with the slight difference in taste between microwaving and normal boiling but I think it's almost unnoticeable! As most replies here say that microwaving isn't a bad idea I'm going to stick with that as it's quicker and easier!

One thing I did notice is that after microwaving, when i'm actually cooking them later on they REALLY absorb a lot of water :)
Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
Master Chef

The fastes way I know to cook a potato is in the microwave. Most modern microwave ovens have a potato setting. Simply wash the potatoes, lightly pierse the skin in multiple places with a fork, place in the microwave, and press the potato button one time for each potato in the appliance. The potato will have a stronger flavor than if it's boiled as the water leaches away some of the potato flavor. Also, if you want that milder potato flavor, as was mentioned in a previous post, skin, then dice the potatoes into a small dice. Then they cook in a matter of minutes, once the water begins to boil. When they are done, simply strain them and serve as you like.

Tip, if you cut your potatoes into french fries, and par boil them until they are almost done through (takes about five minutes or so in the boiling water) then carefully remove them from water onto a paper towel to remove the excess water, then place in hot oil until lightly browned, you will have magnificent french fries. Also, if you skin your potatoes, then grate them, and fry in a medium-high pan with a couple tbs. of cooking oil, you will get very good hash browns in a few minutes of cooking time.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
The fastes way I know to cook a potato is in the microwave. Most modern microwave ovens have a potato setting. Simply wash the potatoes, lightly pierse the skin in multiple places with a fork, place in the microwave, and press the potato button one time for each potato in the appliance. The potato will have a stronger flavor than if it's boiled as the water leaches away some of the potato flavor. Also, if you want that milder potato flavor, as was mentioned in a previous post, skin, then dice the potatoes into a small dice. Then they cook in a matter of minutes, once the water begins to boil. When they are done, simply strain them and serve as you like.

Tip, if you cut your potatoes into french fries, and par boil them until they are almost done through (takes about five minutes or so in the boiling water) then carefully remove them from water onto a paper towel to remove the excess water, then place in hot oil until lightly browned, you will have magnificent french fries. Also, if you skin your potatoes, then grate them, and fry in a medium-high pan with a couple tbs. of cooking oil, you will get very good hash browns in a few minutes of cooking time.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Haha tried that... it actually made the potatoes wither and they looked VERY dry :(

So now I have just bought a microwave storage container and submerge the potatoes in water filled in these containers and then just microwave them for about 20 mins for 1 potato (30 for 2). Works perfectly... though I did mention before the taste is SLIGHTLY different from conventional boiling ways (though not necessarily worse).
Old 05-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #20
Cook

mmmmmmmmmmmm!

http://www.2day2eat.com
2day2eat is offline   Reply With Quote