"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Bolognese Burgers

Hi there. My girlfriend and I make what we consider to be the best bolognese in the world. We have recently come up with the idea of making it into burgers.

How would we go about moulding the bolognese into a burger shape without it being too sloppy? I have been told to cook the meat mixture and sauce seperately, then either add a little of the sauce to the meat mixture before moulding, or serve sauce on top of burger.
I don't think these suggestions would give the bolognese the same flavour that it would normally have.. Is there anything else anyone can suggest ? Perhaps simmering off all the liquid for a long time? Would that work?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by avextracker View Post
Hi there. My girlfriend and I make what we consider to be the best bolognese in the world. We have recently come up with the idea of making it into burgers.

How would we go about moulding the bolognese into a burger shape without it being too sloppy? I have been told to cook the meat mixture and sauce seperately, then either add a little of the sauce to the meat mixture before moulding, or serve sauce on top of burger.
I don't think these suggestions would give the bolognese the same flavour that it would normally have.. Is there anything else anyone can suggest ? Perhaps simmering off all the liquid for a long time? Would that work?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Bake it and slice it..

Old 11-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to tomchef
bolognese and burgers are completly completly different. you cant cook the sauce and the meat separatly as they rely on each other for flavour. if your sauce is that good why mess with it? you could season your mince with watever you use to make the sauce and cook them in the sauce, just like big burger shaped meatballs.this will allow the flavours to mix and develop.the thicker your sauce the less sloppy it will be. but hey wats wrong with being sloppy every once in a while!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchef View Post
bolognese and burgers are completly completly different. you cant cook the sauce and the meat separatly as they rely on each other for flavour. if your sauce is that good why mess with it? you could season your mince with watever you use to make the sauce and cook them in the sauce, just like big burger shaped meatballs.this will allow the flavours to mix and develop.the thicker your sauce the less sloppy it will be. but hey wats wrong with being sloppy every once in a while!

True... think of it as a loose meat sandwich. Serve on a hoagie bun, some mozzarella cheese, brown under a broiler.....
Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Master Chef

I agree - a burger and bolognese have nothing in common.

But, a bolognese sloppy joe is certainly an idea!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I really like the sound of a burger sloppy joe! Would you mind posting your bolognese recipe please?