Bones for Bone Broth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eating Chicken

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I live in the UK and I am going to make some bone broth. Does anyone know where I can get the bones to do this?

The local farmers market said "no" and I can't find it listed at any supermarket. Ship from the internet?

Hello,

I live in the UK and I am going to make some bone broth. Does anyone know where I can get the bones to do this?

The local farmers market said "no" and I can't find it listed at any supermarket. Ship from the internet?
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Buy bone-in meat and save the bones in the freezer till you have enough to make stock.

Hello,

Talk to the local butcher shop. Maybe they'll save them for you and let you have them for a reasonable price. It pays to save them up and make a big batch at once as it takes no more time than a small batch.

I dont have any experience procuring anything in the U.K., but here in the U.S. some grocery stores actually sell soup bones. Usually beef bones with some meat still on them...which is good.

You didn't indicate what kind of bone broth, but chicken bone broth is very good for you and cooks faster. Chicken skin is also very good for you so the pieces and parts of chicken like wings tips, neck and even the feet are good to toss in the pot for a rich broth. Roasting those parts first adds more flavor.

Obvioulsy buying bone-in meats and reserving the bones makes sense, but it can take a long time to save up enough bones, especially from ungulate mammals. Chicken is a little easier to accumulate the parts for a broth. I like to buy whole chickens and cut them up myself, nothing aggravates me more than buying a whole chicken and they didn't leave me the neck, liver, gizzards, etc., in the body cavity...I want those parts!

I'll either roast the whole chicken, pick it clean of meat and use whats left for a broth, or cut the breasts of the bone, de-bone the thighs (the wings are my special treat but those bones go in the pot too after I've deep fried and eaten them) and usually will submit the legs to a broth because I dont have much use for them otherwise, except picking the meat for chicken salad after roasting. When I cut apart a raw chicken, I roast the carcass and parts before boiling for broth. I also reserve any chicken skin I removed and slow roast that to release the fat and reserve it. Chicken skin fat is good for you fat and makes a great fat for cooking...eggs are very good cooked in chicken fat for instance.

I recommend looking in ethnic markets for stock bones. That's where I see them the most, especially in Asian markets, and they often also sell chicken feet, an excellent add to a broth (at least a couple) even when making beef or pork bone broth. The collagen and other stuff in them is very good for you and adds that gelatinous effect so many people are looking for in a bone broth.

Talk to the local butcher shop. Maybe they'll save them for you and let you have them for a reasonable price. It pays to save them up and make a big batch at once as it takes no more time than a small batch.

Yes, most butchers and grocery meat departments will accommodate you if you tell them what you are making. It has been a while, but that's what I did in the past.

CD

In the UK you would have to source a good butcher in order to get the bones you need. I live in Italy, and here we have to put in an order for bones at least 2 weeks before they're ready, and then age them more in the refridgerater. You need to make friends with your butcher so you can get what you're looking for. I like marrow bones, they give a lovely taste to what you're doing. Good luck and happy cooking!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast! Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom