Bordeaux for French onion soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ST93

Assistant Cook
I am following a recipe for french onion soup that calls for red wine. Would a red Bordeaux wine be okay?

I am following a recipe for french onion soup that calls for red wine. Would a red Bordeaux wine be okay?
If you can drink and enjoy it, it should be just fine in your soup..
kadesma

I used to use wine but have discovered that brandy or Cognac work miracles with French Onion soup. Got this from one of the better restaurants in town and now make it this way all the time.

I used to use wine but have discovered that brandy or Cognac work miracles with French Onion soup. Got this from one of the better restaurants in town and now make it this way all the time.
Same here, the taste is vastly improved over the wine..I love the brandy in the soup.
kadesma:)

I agree with jpmcgrew. I make a batch of French Onion every week, and use Sherry as my liquor. I have a hard time keeping my co-workers out of it!

I actually use a white wine. And just ordered a four rib standing roast that will after the appropriate Christmas dinner, wind up in an onion soup.

In the meanwhile I will have purchased extra bones and some meat to make a killer stock.

We usually have it on New Year's Eve. And it truly is heavenly.

It is to me our present.

But back to the booze. Am not a fan of booze in food. Wine gives food a nice touch. But booze generally, and there is always the exception, does not do it for me.

One of the exceptions is Scotch and cream sherry in a mushroom appetizer.

Sounds odd but it works.

But to me a white wine goes into French onion soup.

I use white wine during cooking, then a shot of brandy right before broiling. I'd like to try it with cognac one day. Should be even better.

What a timely subject. I just got off the phone with my daughter who is having the whole family for Christmas dinner and they all want me to make my sherried mushrooms. This is how I do it and it's a hit every time.

Slice 3/4 LB. large button mushrooms about 1/4 inch thick. Add a little cajun seasoning, (I use Emeril's Essence). Saute in butter for a couple of minutes til juices run. Add - 2 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce and continue sauteeing.
When mushrooms are almost browned deglaze with 3 Tbsp. sherry. Saute til almost dry and mushrooms are golden brown. Serve immediately. The combination of cajun seasoning, Worchestershire and Sherry give these mushrooms a unique flavor.

For this crowd I will make 2 lbs. mushrooms, and use twice the amount of Worchestershire and sherry. And, trust me on this, it won't be enough.

Last edited:
I agree whole heartedly with the former. white wine during the processing, and cognac to finish.

I also use white stock, I get all the color from onion caramelization.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom