Bored of cooking the same things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reflexive

Assistant Cook
It's coming up to weekly shopping time again and I'm bored of ordering the same old ingredients to cook the same old things. I love cooking but I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. The things I always cook are:

spag bol
carbonara
lasagne
steak
curries
paella
stews
roast dinners

as you can see, quite a short list. any ideas for things as delicious as ive mentioned would be well appreciated! just the names of dishes would do so i can google them

dan

It's coming up to weekly shopping time again and I'm bored of ordering the same old ingredients to cook the same old things. I love cooking but I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. The things I always cook are:

spag bol
carbonara
lasagne
steak
curries
paella
stews
roast dinners

as you can see, quite a short list. any ideas for things as delicious as ive mentioned would be well appreciated! just the names of dishes would do so i can google them

dan

lots of beef, try chicken and fish. there are many easy ones u can do.

babe

Reflexive, welcome. This is what I do - travel in my kitchen to people, places and recipes far far away, right in my kitchen. You might buy a decent Hungarian cook book, or a
German cook book and have at it. Authentic Goulash, rouladen and so on. Here's an overside cook book, Russian, German & Polish food & cooking with over 185 traditional recipes ..... 750 stunning color photographs. Oh my, I must go back to this one.

It will work!

Hi, reflexive. Welcome to DC.

Buck and I don't really have any same-old, same-old meals because I'm a very adventurous cook. I plan my meals about 3 months in advance and always include a variety of beef, pork, poultry, fish and meatless meals. I scour my recipe file and my cookbooks (close to 1,000 by now) and plan my menus accordingly. I also look to seasonal and sale items so I don't break the bank when I plan our meals.

Once a year I take a month - usually in the spring - to plan our 100% favorite dishes of the previous year or family favorites.

This may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't.

For instance, tonight is our meatless meal for the week.
We will have black bean soup, which is made with onion, red bell pepper, garlic, many seasonings, etc. This will be served topped with sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro. On the side I've roasted a head of garlic. This will be spread onto some toasted N.Y. Times Bread.

Sandwiches (pastrami and egg, cod, meatball etc.)
Wraps (turkey,chicken,beef)
other types of pastas. (ziti, linguini, shrimp scampi)
Stir Fry (if you have a wok, just about anything will do, I recommend chicken or pork with a sweet soy sauce and fresh veggies!)

reflexive - welcome to DC.

It just takes browsing these forums to find new things to cook. Pull up a chair... Soft cushion will help :mrgreen: ...we wouldn't want anything going numb...just start reading! In the forum titled Today's Menu and Food Talk - there is a thread every day of what we are cooking for supper. There's lots of good ideas there. If someone mentions something and you want to know the recipe just send that person a private message. I'm sure they will be more than willing to share the recipe.

Just start browsing the forums. One thing to remember though - there's no cure for this addiction! :LOL:

Most everyone loves Mexican food, right? I hope you're one of them. How about some chimichangas, flautas (savory chicken wrapped & fried in corn tortillas), taco salads, burritos, enchiladas, Mexican lasagna, chicken mole, Mexican beef stew, tortilla soup etc. Let me know what recipes you'd like and I'll be glad to post them.

thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying them :)

Hi reflexive! Welcome to DC. Some other suggestions are porcupine meatballs, Swedish meatballs, scalloped potatoes, meatloaf (especially good when made with buffalo), potato soup, and twice-baked potatoes.

Katie, I am like you--I like variety. My first husband's mother, on the other hand, always knew what her grocery bill would be each week (until prices would go up) because she always bought exactly the same thing every single week. And she cooked exactly the same things every week, and on the same days. For instance, Monday--spaghetti, Tuesday--beef stew, Wednesday--meatloaf, etc., week after week after week. I find that so sad!

:)Barbara

How about cabbage rolls? Maybe some chicken and dumplings or some homemade soup? I could eat soup as a meal in itself or with a nice salad. There are so many different soup recipes online, you would have so many to choose from.:chef:

Soups

Soups, Yes thanks bryankimjade, why didn't I think of them - humbly I would suggest going to Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans and clicking on the World's Best Borsch tab - there you will find some wonderful ideas if I do say so. :rolleyes: There are two fine authentic recipes from CharlieD, there is a recipe that was sent to me from Kyiv by Elena Filatova (a trip in her own right):ermm: and one that originated in Lviv and brought to the US by Dr. Oksanna. Take a trip there and then take a trip in your own kitchen! You can't go wrong. Guarantee!:chef:

Every week try one or two new ethnic dishes....Mexican, Greek, Thai, Chinese, French, Mediterranean, Japanese, etc. It is fun to explore other culture's cuisines & they sure taste good! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom