Bouquet garni?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I am trying an Irish recipe I found. "Irish Beef and Guinness Casserole"
It calls for a Bouquet garni. I looked it up but everybody says different herbs go in it. So what I'm wondering is which herbs should I use for something Irish? Thanks. :)

Here is the recipe to.

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons of oil
  • 2 pounds of rib steak bound, well trimmed and cut into cubes
  • 2 onions thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon plain flour
  • 125 ml Guinness
  • 125 ml water
  • Bouquet garni
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard or other French mustard
  • 1 pinch of ground cloves
  • salt/freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 pound (225g) of broccoli/cauliflower florets
Instructions

1. Set oven gas mark 3, 160C, 325F.
  2. Heat the oil in a frying pan. In it brown the beef, a few pieces at a time.
  3. Remove the meat as it browns to a casserole dish.
  4. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for a few minutes, sprinkle in the sugar and flour, stir it around to soak up the juices, then gradually stir in the water and the Guinness stirring all the time.
  5. Add the bouquet garni, wine vinegar, mustard and ground cloves and seasoning; bring to the boil and pour it over the meat in the casserole.
  6. Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 1.5 hours or until the meat is tender.
  7. Approximately 20 mins before the end of cooking time, add broccoli or cauliflower to the casserole unless you are making ahead of time (see note).
Notes

• The dish will taste better if made a day or two ahead. Add the broccoli or cauliflower when you reheat. Freezes very well.

You're right, there is not one recipe for a "garnish bundle".

Try thyme, bay leaf, parsley, rosemary are pretty common and go with your casserole. If you don't like these herbs, use ones you like.

You're right, there is not one recipe for a "garnish bundle".

Try thyme, bay leaf, parsley, rosemary are pretty common and go with your casserole. If you don't like these herbs, use ones you like.

Sounds good. I'll go with these. Actualy I dont think there is an herb I dont like. They are all yummy.

Thanks much.

Back
Top Bottom