Braising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
RECIPE
Back to Basics: Braised Sausage by Rachel ray. I was unable to print the web site but if you google it you will find this. Is this really braising , to me it is boiling sausage in beer . How can she say this is braising. Looked up braising def. and I don't see how this falls into braising. Any advice appr.

You are correct. That is not braising. Word of advice. While RR has some good recipes, she's not always on top of the technical aspects of cooking.

RECIPE
Back to Basics: Braised Sausage by Rachel ray. I was unable to print the web site but if you google it you will find this. Is this really braising , to me it is boiling sausage in beer . How can she say this is braising. Looked up braising def. and I don't see how this falls into braising. Any advice appr.

I have to agree. That seems more like boiling to me. My definition of braising is browning what ever meat you are using first. Then adding a small amount of liquid and cook slowly to break down the connective tissue.

And over on this side of the pond, "braising" is the same. Browning, followed by long slow cooking. Essential for the more "muscular" meat - and delicious.

Sounds like nit picking to me.

You could call it simmering, boiling or braising and it would not ruffle my feathers.

I also do not think browning first has anything to do with braising.
It does make all the difference in the world as far as taste. But cooking in liquid is cooking in liquid.
Call it what you like.

Last edited:

You could call it simmering, boiling or braising and it would not ruffle my feathers.

It does make all the difference in the world as far as taste. But cooking in liquid is cooking in liquid.
Call it what you like.

No, it's absolutely not "nit picking."

Braising is simmering something in liquid in a tightly closed container over slow heat.

RR's recipe is for boiled sausage.

No, it's absolutely not "nit picking."

Braising is simmering something in liquid in a tightly closed container over slow heat.

RR's recipe is for boiled sausage.

I had to learn here, especially in the south not to take things said to literally.

I once left my car at a repair shop and he told me it would be ready to pick up at dinner time on Friday.
Well, I did not get my car back until, the following Monday.

You see, dinner time here is lunch time.

Call it what you like.

Clearly you were not here last year for our long-running discussion on the differences between those terms :LOL:

But jennyema is right: there are differences, like the common direction to bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. There's a reason why teaching always begins with vocabulary.

Clearly you were not here last year for our long-running discussion on the differences between those terms :LOL:

But jennyema is right: there are differences, like the common direction to bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. There's a reason why teaching always begins with vocabulary.

That would be correct. I just joined a short time ago.

I agree with you. But if a recipe said to simmer a roast, I could easily replace the word simmer with braise.
In my world they are the same thing. And perception is reality.

RECIPE

Like Andy said, she may have some good recipes but if you ask me, she is no cook.

That would be correct. I just joined a short time ago.

I agree with you. But if a recipe said to simmer a roast, I could easily replace the word simmer with braise.
In my world they are the same thing. And perception is reality.

Simmering and braising really aren't the same thing.

Braising is slowly simmering in a tightly closed container. You can simmer something without braising it -- in an uncovered saucepan on the stove for example.

Most cooking techniques have pretty clear definitions. Thankfully so.

Like Andy said, she may have some good recipes but if you ask me, she is no cook.

For the record, I know little about her. I have seen her on TV. As far as her skill level, I don't know.

Good thing you're not trying to teach people how to cook ;)

Maybe my thinking would simplify instead of confuse a young chef. Would you really waste the students time on the difference between simmering and braising, when they are the same thing? ;)

Braising is a technique used to produce well flavored, tender meat from lesser, or more tough cuts. To braise, one seasons, and browns the meat to add flavor, then adds a small amount of water, and covers with a tight-fitting lid. Cooking is done at a low temperature (between 190 and 325 usually) to slowly break down the meat proteins, and connective tissues. Water doesn't cover the meat, and so doesn't leach flavor from the meat.

Simmer is to cook at a temperature just under boiling, with the food immersed in water. Simmering does extract flavor from the foods in the liquid, resulting in broths, stocks, or gravies. Simmering is very similar to stewing. Simmered meat has less "meat" flavor than does braised meat.

Poaching is cooking by total immersion at low temperatures (170 to 190), and is usually done just long enough to bring food to a desired temperature. Foods can be poached water, or cooking oil.

Boiling meat can cause it to become tough and dry, if the meat is boiled too long. I once placed bratwurst into my slow cooker on its high setting and let it cook all day. Eating the resulting sausage was like chewing on sawdust cemented together with rubber glue.:ohmy::yuk: Though cooking in bubbling oil was once called boiling in oil, it is now referred to as frying.

Moral of the tale; Know your techniques, and what they are called, and both when, and how to use them.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For the record, I know little about her. I have seen her on TV. As far as her skill level, I don't know.

Maybe my thinking would simplify instead of confuse a young chef. Would you really waste the students time on the difference between simmering and braising, when they are the same thing? ;)

I attended culinary school for two months (I had to withdraw for medical reasons) and in the very beginning, we were taught, and tested on, the differences between poaching, simmering, boiling and braising. And I taught basic computer skills in adult education night school for two years. Again, all good teaching begins with vocabulary.

Last edited:
Accurate description of a recipe and it's technique's allows others to replicate the recipe with some hope of success. Not being accurate sets up a student for failure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom