Brandied Cherries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loprraine

Executive Chef
Tntvermillion asked for the recipe, but I wasn't sure where to put it, preserving, fruits, desserts?? So, if I'm wrong, maybe one of the Mods could move it for me. Thx. Here you go.

I buy the local, fresh cherries when in season at the farmer's market. They need to be ripe but not mush. Wash them. Keep a bit of the stem on if you can. Prick them a few times with a pin so they don't explode when cooked. Cover with cold water. Bring to a gentle boil. drain water. Cover with cold water again and bring to a gentle boil again. Have ready a simple syrup. Prepare your jars and lids according to manufacture's directions. I use 250 ml jars. And a bottle or two or brandy. You don't need the best brandy on the market. I use a relatively cheap one.

Put the hot cherries into the steaming jars. Fill 1/3 full of simple syrup, and top up with brandy. Remove air bubbles, and seal.

The original recipe called for 2/3 syrup, 1/3 brandy, but I do the opposite.

I don't process them in a water bath, but place them on a folded thick towel, and cover them with another. When cool, ( I let sit overnight) label and store. I try to leave them at least 3 months before using.

Last edited:
my sister makes chocolate covered cherries for christmas gifts. i'll bet she'd like this recipe so she could make chocolate covered brandied cherries! copying-printing.

thanks loprraine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom