Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pieman

Assistant Cook
In tesco today I bought a "tiger " loaf...
it is a huge , crusty loaf... wonderful taste,
soft etc
and only 50 p !!!

However when cutting it I'm also crushing it !
Is there a secret to cutting this soft, crusty
bread ?
I used a serrated knife with a 6 inch blade but the pressure I had to use to cut through the crust was crushing the bread !!!

Use a long, razor sharp carving knife. The serations tear bread. But a smooth edge slices through it. But for delicate breads, you need the knife to be very sharp, so that it cuts with only the weight of the knife blade.

If you don't have such a blade, maybe you have a cutting lazer?:LOL:

I hope you find great answers, besides mine. I tend to use my chef's knife for everything, and am kind of biased toward it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Try Victorinox' 'tomato knife' - it's maybe smaller than ideal for this use - but it really works.

i'm not sure of the fimensions of the serrations on the knife you used, but you might try a sharp "bread" knife made specifically for slicing bread.

it has fairly wide (maybe 1/4 ") scallops or serrations. i often think of it as resembling the blade of a tree saw versus a jig saw.

then, use a light, short stroked sawing motion without pressing down very much to allow the blade to do it's job.

hth.

Get the geezer behind the bread counter in Tesco to put it through the machine it works every time;)

I run into that with some of the bread that I bake. I have one long blade with very fine serrations that will gently breech the crust. Then the standard wide serrations bread knife can finish it.

When I run into that problem, I drag out my Cuisinart electric knife and load the bread blade into it. Works like a charm!

CuisinartElectricKnifeCEK40.jpg

I turn the bread on its side, facing the bottom of the loaf to me, and I start with my knife on an upward angle and saw into the front edge\corner where the bottom and the side meet. This will help you get the cut started because the bottom of the loaf is usually firmer\harder\crispier and won't collapse as easily. Then you can saw rapidly without too much downward force and let the knife do the work. Don't press too hard, that's what is squishing your loaf.

Last edited:
i'm not sure of the fimensions of the serrations on the knife you used, but you might try a sharp "bread" knife made specifically for slicing bread.

it has fairly wide (maybe 1/4 ") scallops or serrations. i often think of it as resembling the blade of a tree saw versus a jig saw.

then, use a light, short stroked sawing motion without pressing down very much to allow the blade to do it's job.

hth.

This is the way to go as.......
Serrated knife blades and Bread knife blades are not the same.
Here are two that will slice through the softest bread without
smashing it.
The top one with the white handle is a Mundial, the bottom one
is made by Forschner....you should be able to get them on
Amazon.com or from a Restaurant supply store. They are very
nice to have if you don't like smashed bread.

http://www.radikal.ru

Last edited:
The chef who taught me to use a knife properly showed me that using the proper knife for the job, and using only very, very sharp knives, will allow the knife to cut through the food without any pressure except the weight of the knife alone.

With sushi, it's a must! Bread too.

The chef who taught me to use a knife properly showed me that using the proper knife for the job, and using only very, very sharp knives, will allow the knife to cut through the food without any pressure except the weight of the knife alone.

With sushi, it's a must! Bread too.
And never, ever cut toward your hand. Like a dummy, I held a submarine roll in my hand last night, and used my very sharp chef's knive to cleanly cut through the middle, lengthwise. It was just a minor cut, only a scratch. But that Dawn dishwashing liquid really burns in those cuts. Always use a cutting board, no matter how your mother used to do it.:ROFLMAO:

But I'm ok. I'm ok. I just have a bandaid on my baby finger.:LOL:

I can't believe I got so complacent to make such a mistake.:mad:

Oh, and my non-scalloped, non-serated blade went through the soft bum like a hot knife through butter, and through my skin equally well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom