Bread Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmaline

Assistant Cook
I wanted to make my own bread and many moons ago I bought various bread flours and also tried different yeasts and never ever managed to turn out a decent loaf. I also bought a bread machine thinking that would be the answer to my problem but still couldn't get an edible loaf.
I have since sold said machine and now have quite a few bags of bread flour of varying types... what to do with them I wonder?
I do so hate just throwing things away so any suggestions would be very much appreciated. (as long as it's not bread!). :chef:

Last edited:
Sorry you had a less than positive experience with making bread. Sometimes it takes folks a while to jump the learning curve. I wish you hadn't sold your bread machine because it could have served you in a way you might not have considered.

I've been making ALL our bread products for most of my housekeeping life but since I've been visited by Arthur(itis), hand-kneading all but kills my hands. That's when I first considered getting a bread machine.

I was a dipped-and-dyed "do it all the old-fashioned way" bread maker up to that point and viewed bread machines as an unnecessary and stupid appliance only wimps would use. Ha! Ha! Joke's on me. That was 1999 and I still have, and use, my trusty bread machine. But...

The way I use the machine is the key. In all the years I have owned it, it has only been used twice to make bread as the booklet directed. Instead, I add all the necessary ingredients for my target recipe, set the machine to DOUGH cycle, which (for me) does all the heavy lifting, uh kneading, and puts the dough through the first rise.

At that point, I can play with my dough any way I please. My hands are thankful that they aren't abused and I get the bread product I want.

Two years ago, as a favor for a professor friend of ours for a trip fundraiser, I made over 100 loaves of French bread in less than three weeks. My record was 12 loaves in one day, but that was getting up early and pushing it.

As I already mentioned, I still have my first machine and bought a second one, just like it, at a thrift store a few years ago for $3.00 and, especially during the holidays, have both of them going at once.

What I'm trying to say is don't get discouraged. Rome wasn't built in a day and, given time, you'll enjoy your own freshly-baked bread.

You are likely killing the yeast by accident. Take the temperature of your water, add flour gradually, don't add too much salt and keep it simple.

There is a Julia Child episode on making French bread. You can google it. I watched that and found it helpful.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Sorry you had a less than positive experience with making bread. Sometimes it takes folks a while to jump the learning curve. I wish you hadn't sold your bread machine because it could have served you in a way you might not have considered.

I've been making ALL our bread products for most of my housekeeping life but since I've been visited by Arthur(itis), hand-kneading all but kills my hands. That's when I first considered getting a bread machine.

I was a dipped-and-dyed "do it all the old-fashioned way" bread maker up to that point and viewed bread machines as an unnecessary and stupid appliance only wimps would use. Ha! Ha! Joke's on me. That was 1999 and I still have, and use, my trusty bread machine. But...

The way I use the machine is the key. In all the years I have owned it, it has only been used twice to make bread as the booklet directed. Instead, I add all the necessary ingredients for my target recipe, set the machine to DOUGH cycle, which (for me) does all the heavy lifting, uh kneading, and puts the dough through the first rise.

At that point, I can play with my dough any way I please. My hands are thankful that they aren't abused and I get the bread product I want.

Two years ago, as a favor for a professor friend of ours for a trip fundraiser, I made over 100 loaves of French bread in less than three weeks. My record was 12 loaves in one day, but that was getting up early and pushing it.

As I already mentioned, I still have my first machine and bought a second one, just like it, at a thrift store a few years ago for $3.00 and, especially during the holidays, have both of them going at once.

What I'm trying to say is don't get discouraged. Rome wasn't built in a day and, given time, you'll enjoy your own freshly-baked bread.

Thanks for your reply Katie but like I said I've tried and tried AND tried!
There's only so many times one can keep hoping for better results. Think I'll stick to my knitting and sewing and not have any more aggravation from the aroma whirling around and then the disappointment! :)

You are likely killing the yeast by accident. Take the temperature of your water, add flour gradually, don't add too much salt and keep it simple.

There is a Julia Child episode on making French bread. You can google it. I watched that and found it helpful.

Posting from the app.

Yes, Jeni, you may be on to something.

When I make my bread, using the machine, I add all my ingredients to the container, making sure my yeast is in one corner, the salt in another, and the sugar, away from those two ingredients. Salt has an impact on yeast, too.

Then, I put my quantity of water/milk/whatever into a microwave-safe container and nuke it on HIGH for 20 seconds, only long enough to take the chill off. This way, the chance of killing the yeast with too warm a liquid is next to none. Pour it into the bread machine container and turn the machine on. I can truthfully say I have never had a yeast problem doing it this way.

Ah, yes. I do not know how to make bread with a machine as I do not have one.

Another use for bread flour is dumplings in soup! Or crust for pot pie. I made that today. ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1464889671.455772.jpg
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1464889687.257218.jpg

Posting from the app.

The NYT recipe is good! I have made that one and liked it.

Posting from the app.

I don't bake, but I've learned how to make no-knead bread. It was actually pretty easy, and I haven't messed one up yet. There's quite a bit on line, and also instructional videos on YouTube. Here's a link to the NYT article that started it all.

No-Knead Bread Recipe - NYT Cooking

That's a great technique, although its been refined a bit since the original. I tried to make it with a towel, as he says, and it stuck horribly. Other recipes suggest using parchment paper instead, which I find works much better.

Emmaline, what was the problem with your bread, and how did you make it? We might be able to help you fix it :)

Last edited:
That's a great technique, although its been refined a bit since the original. I tried to make it with a towel, as he says, and it stuck horribly. Other recipes suggest using parchment paper instead, which I find works much better.
After the first rise and subsequent fold, I clean and lightly oil the bowl and then put the dough back in, then cover with plastic wrap. The wrap never touches the dough, and the oil allows it to release easily. I put the dough on 450 F rated parchment paper, then gently drop it into the hot dutch oven. Also makes it easier to remove from the DO when done. I put the dough in the refrigerator for a few days after the first 18 hour rise to develop more flavor.

I've made plain, rye, and rosemary olive oil bread. My favorite is the rosemary olive oil. When I serve it to guests for the first time, the response is always "You made this???".

Thanks for letting me know about that..I should really dump the lot in that case.
Fact is I've not been at all well over the last year or more so I haven't been able to do much cooking at all and even though things have improved slightly with my health I cannot stand for very long.
Thanks for all the info folks but in the bin it will go! :(

When the dough fails to rise, you can use it to make fry bread. The moisture in the dough will turn to steam and create the leavening to expand the interior bubbles, giving you a light and delicious little round of goodness. but as you can't stand for long periods, I would sugesst getting your oil hot, removing a golf-ball sized piece of dough, then sitting in a chair while you flatten, then stretch it with your hands to make a six inch or so circle. Then you simply place the dough into the hot oil, let it brown, then flip and brown the second side. Drain on paper towels, and eat with jelly, preserves, apple butter, or honey, or even maple syrup. It's also great with savory toppings like cream cheese with chives, or salsa, etc.

you only make as many as you need, and store the rest in the fridge or freezer until you want to make more.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom