"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Recently my specialty is something I call Carp Lake sourdough bread. It's named after the cottage my husband's family has near Mackinaw Michigan. The last time we went there for vacation, I made a special sourdough starter in that cottage and that is the secret ingredient in the bread. My in laws LOVE it!

fairygirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef
We make a lot of dough with our KA, but most of it isn't bread dough! We've ground more meat and stuffed more sausage with the mixer than bread dough.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Ain't nothing wrong with that. During the summer I'll grind meat for the best hamburgers and I'll be smoking homemade sausages this summer. Mmmmm mmmmm!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
Master Chef
The only dough I make is pizza dough. I've tried making my own bread and had mixed results. Not having someone to show me and allow me to feel how the dough should be after kneading, I find I tend to overdo it and come out with rock hard bread or I don't let it rise enough or something. I had a bread machine for a while and that was good but it was taking up too much counter space in my old kitchen for the amount of use it got. Out it went. I buy my bread. Sometimes it's just the regular old white sandwich but I like having some rye and whole wheat and sourdough on hand as well.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
Executive Chef
I love baking my own bread and DH loves eating it .. therein lies the problem. So I only make it once in a while. He eats less bread if it's store bought.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Master Chef
I have not had any bread since I started dieting but, I do enjoy making my own bread, rolls and pizza dough.

I really enjoy making bread during a blizzard!

The smell of baking bread helps makes a house a home.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Wine Guy
We eat almost entirely homemade bread. It used to be 100%, but recently I had an injury which curtailed my bread making for several weeks. So we started buying occasional loaves of peasant bread from a nearby Italian deli. I have to say that it's very good, although more expensive than the homemade stuff.

I'm now back to making bread once every couple weeks.

I do most of it in the food processor. I've got it down to the point where I can throw the dough together in about 5 minutes. With the no-knead recipe I use, I just leave it sit on the countertop until the following evening, at which time it goes in the oven.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
Head Chef
Store bought artisan loaves

I have no time to bake.
jharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
Senior Cook
I ought to try making peasant bread.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
Master Chef
I'll make bread in the cold weather. I, too, have found the bread machine good for its "dough" setting but not so good for a finished product. When I take it out of the tub I'll give it a few pats and cuddles, then let it do its second rise on the counter.

Had an artisan bread bakery two towns over but they closed a couple years ago. We have a local grocery store that makes some nice sturdy breads, but now they're opening a Panera's just a couple miles from our home. If they do one thing right it IS bread!

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote