Bread homemade or store bought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's important to point out that not all store bought bread is unhealthy.

Nature's Own 100% whole wheat has no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, and no HFCS. It also tastes far better than any other bread I've bought, including fresh from the bakery. It doesn't have a long shelf life, likely due to the no preservatives.

Yes, it has sugar, but only 2g. They do make a sugar-free bread as well. Considering the DV for added sugar is 24-36 grams, a sandwich with store bought bread is hardly something to concern myself with.

Homemade doesn't always automatically equal healthier. I've seen plenty of "home cooked" things that would give me a coronary if I ate it lol.

It's hard in my area to find brands that don't have many additives and when you do, at say, whole foods, their super expensive. That's what I meant up above when I said I can't buy all organic stuff, economics is always a factor. If we could as easily grow our own veggies and fruits we would. Bread though is easy. As far as unhealthy home made breads, well you choose how to make it and what to put in, you are the boss. What others put in doesn't have to be what you put in. No need to read a label that may or may not be accurate, you know what you've put in and catered to *your* needs.

It's hard in my area to find brands that don't have many additives and when you do, at say, whole foods, their super expensive. That's what I meant up above when I said I can't buy all organic stuff, economics is always a factor. If we could as easily grow our own veggies and fruits we would. Bread though is easy. As far as unhealthy home made breads, well you choose how to make it and what to put in, you are the boss. What others put in doesn't have to be what you put in. No need to read a label that may or may not be accurate, you know what you've put in and catered to *your* needs.

Nature's Own is sold in pretty much every store I've ever been in. I pay like $2.50/loaf.

I don't understand your label comment - are you implying commercial bread makers are lying about their ingredient list and we shouldn't trust them?

My needs are a loaf of cheap, healthy bread that'll last about two weeks, that I can buy with my regular trip to Walmart. Baking bread would take time I don't have.

Nature's Own is just way too healthy for me. I think they take word "nature" to extreme and use saw dust insted of flour, brrrr. Nothing personal, my DW also like s their products.

Nature's Own is just way too healthy for me. I think they take word "nature" to extreme and use saw dust insted of flour, brrrr. Nothing personal, my DW also like s their products.

Lol. Yeah. Honestly it took some getting use to for me, and I don't like all their types of bread. I use to buy the Sara Lee potato bread before I realized I needed more fiber. I also don't like super soft bread, so breads with lots of nuts and grains baked in have a better texture to me, so then I actually eat it.

I still buy potato bread hot dog buns though. Those are just flat out yummy.

Nature's Own is sold in pretty much every store I've ever been in. I pay like $2.50/loaf.

I don't understand your label comment - are you implying commercial bread makers are lying about their ingredient list and we shouldn't trust them?

My needs are a loaf of cheap, healthy bread that'll last about two weeks, that I can buy with my regular trip to Walmart. Baking bread would take time I don't have.

I wasn't telling you specifically to make your own bread lol. This thread is not about you or me, but shared experiences and advice by many. You take from it what you want, you don't have to take it all, or any of it. We all have the right to share you know....

It takes 5 minutes to put it in the bread maker if you're not using the oven method too, the bread maker does it for you. Less time than a trip to the store as long as you have the few ingredients it requires which most people do for baking anyway.

Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anyone was lying. I just said one knows with 100% certainty what their putting in. Though yes, there are cases out there where labels were not correct for whatever reason, though I assume not most.

Not sure why the defensiveness and why getting on the offense either. If someones advice does not suit me, I don't take it, simple. No harm.

Last edited:
I'll stock up on the breads I like when they are at a good price. I prefer whole loaf over sliced since it has less surface exposed to air. I'll cut the loaves in half (or thirds, in the case of bread from Panera) and double bag each chunk before I freeze it. Bread stays decent for a month or two, edible after that. I try to never not have a supply of bread in the house because my Dad delivered bread for a living and it's just part of my DNA.

Store bought bread is JUNK, full of crap. My dad has perfected his bread. You'd be amazed what 15 or 20 years of perfecting his bread tastes like; without the high sugar, salt, preservatives of store breads. The flavor is AMAZING. People keep telling him he'd make millions selling it.

I wasn't telling you specifically to make your own bread lol. This thread is not about you or me, but shared experiences and advice by many. You take from it what you want, you don't have to take it all, or any of it. We all have the right to share you know....

It takes 5 minutes to put it in the bread maker if you're not using the oven method too, the bread maker does it for you. Less time than a trip to the store as long as you have the few ingredients it requires which most people do for baking anyway.

Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anyone was lying. I just said one knows with 100% certainty what their putting in. Though yes, there are cases out there where labels were not correct for whatever reason, though I assume not most.

Not sure why the defensiveness and why getting on the offense either. If someones advice does not suit me, I don't take it, simple. No harm.

From what I've observed on cooking forums, when someone comes in and uses words like junk and crap to describe the foods others eat, or that were fed to them as a child, people tend to get a little defensive or strike back.
It's not just you though, try talking about brats, hot dogs (processed meats) or especially Kraft grated cheese in the green tube or their mac and cheese and you'll get the same results... often followed up with a few :sick::sick::sick:
People tend to take on the tone of the thread.

I'm a member of the bread tribe. I love bread, especially dark breads. However, I also know that bread packs on the pounds, so I don't eat a lot of it. And, with a bread machine, making bread takes a lot less energy than doing dishes or cleaning the bathroom. I will be making pitas this weekend to take on my road trip next week. I will make bread when I'm visiting my folks (and pizza dough and tortillas). My grandma made all her own bread--I don't recall ever seeing a store-bought hotdog bun, hamburger bun, or any kind of bread in her house. She did buy WONDERFUL orange rolls from the local bakery, but otherwise, the smell that greeted you when you walked into her house was the smell of homemade bread. I have her handwritten cookbook--it smells like her kitchen. It has been 41 years this May since she passed away. I personally can't be bothered to drive to the store or bakery to buy bread. But, I generally work from home so am not "out there" every day. Going to the store or bakery is more effort than hauling out the bread machine.

That's a good point, CW. You seem to run a very self-sufficient homestead, so if you don't have to leave to pick up an item here and there until you need to, good for you.

Asking for clarification by saying, "it seems you're saying this, is that right?" is rather the opposite of putting words in your mouth.

As to ingredients and honesty in labeling, you'd have to be able to track the *individual ingredients* of everything to know for sure what you're eating, and the only way to do that is avoiding stores altogether and buying only local ingredients you can personally verify. There's not many people these days that get to do that (I'd love to be able to say most of my food came from my own hard work vs what little I CAN currently grow).

Last edited:
I just make bread bc I enjoy doing so and I have a limited food budget. I find that the more I make from scratch the better off I am and my blood sugar levels show it (I'm a diabetic). It's also something that I do well and it makes my family happy. For example, I make sourdough bread from my own homemade sourdough starter. Bc I was so successful, I also made another sourdough starter at my husband's family cottage in Michigan (the water and air change the flavor of the starter). I call it my Carp Lake sourdough bread. My in laws LOVED it! And I enjoy doing these things for people I love.

I just make bread bc I enjoy doing so and I have a limited food budget. I find that the more I make from scratch the better off I am and my blood sugar levels show it (I'm a diabetic). It's also something that I do well and it makes my family happy. For example, I make sourdough bread from my own homemade sourdough starter. Bc I was so successful, I also made another sourdough starter at my husband's family cottage in Michigan (the water and air change the flavor of the starter). I call it my Carp Lake sourdough bread. My in laws LOVED it! And I enjoy doing these things for people I love.

My boyfriend and I have talked about getting a bread maker later on (along with a mixer as neither of us own one, since we don't bake *anything* - I always tell people I'm a cook, not a baker lol).

I do think it'd be beat to make specialty bread like you're referring to. Something to break up the same-ol-same. Especially rye. Mmm. Warm rye with butter.

Note to self: Buy rye bread.

My boyfriend and I have talked about getting a bread maker later on (along with a mixer as neither of us own one, since we don't bake *anything* - I always tell people I'm a cook, not a baker lol).

I do think it'd be beat to make specialty bread like you're referring to. Something to break up the same-ol-same. Especially rye. Mmm. Warm rye with butter.

Note to self: Buy rye bread.

Actually, I'm making a rye sourdough starter so I can make the rye sourdough bread in The Bread Baker's Apprentice cookbook. It's a comprehensive book about some serious bread baking.

I have a wonderful Montana Sourdough, her name is Audrey II (as in "Feed me Seymour." from Little Shop of Horrors)

I have a wonderful Montana Sourdough, her name is Audrey II (as in "Feed me Seymour." from Little Shop of Horrors)

My sourdough starters names are Gossimer (after the big red hairy monster in some Loony Tunres cartoons) and Perry bc the region it's named after which is Carp Lake is also called Paradise Lake. The Rye starter I'm working on will probably be called Ryan lol.

my sourdough starters names are gossimer (after the big red hairy monster in some loony tunres cartoons) and perry bc the region it's named after which is carp lake is also called paradise lake. The rye starter i'm working on will probably be called ryan lol.

image-4099247249.jpg

Loved Gossimer.

image-2170185279.jpg

And Audrey II

Last edited:
when I read posts like this it renews my faith in humanity......thank you.

because of heart attack and surgery, I now have to eat a low-salt, low fat diet, so I make my own bread to control the fat and salt amounts. It's really easy to do the no-knead bread, letting it rise overnight and baking next morning. Love that rustic bread!

but I do prefer store-bought rye bread for some reason. They get the texture soooooo right.

Back
Top Bottom