"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Ahhh, there's something about the feel of a well made ball of bread dough. I too used my bread machine all the time before getting my lovely stand mixer. Now I just use the Kitchen aid bc I like to see how it all comes together. Well, that and my bread machine took a dive for the floor and consequently doesn't work as well now.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
The only dough I make is pizza dough. I've tried making my own bread and had mixed results. Not having someone to show me and allow me to feel how the dough should be after kneading, I find I tend to overdo it and come out with rock hard bread or I don't let it rise enough or something. I had a bread machine for a while and that was good but it was taking up too much counter space in my old kitchen for the amount of use it got. Out it went. I buy my bread. Sometimes it's just the regular old white sandwich but I like having some rye and whole wheat and sourdough on hand as well.
My grandma taught me how to make bread when I was 9 years old, right after she taught me how to make pie crust. There is a "feel" to both and I'm glad she taught me both. After bread and pie crust, she taught me how to make lefse. All three are things I know I can make and have turn out. My brother tried making lefse once--it was like shoe leather.

I have rarely had bread not turn out. When I was in high school, I traded making cinnamon rolls (48 every Saturday and Sunday morning) for ski passes. People were standing in line waiting for me to arrive with the rolls. Because I don't eat bread very often, I tend to use the bread machine for pita dough. I keep the bread machine in the basement (along other things I don't use every day). Bonus--when I want to make bread, I get extra exercise because I have to go down and up a flight of stairs first.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #23
Master Chef

Depends on what I'm using it for. I like sliced bought bread for work and school lunches,they stay fresher for longer and I homemade bread for home use :)

We've got a very good bakery so I can buy great breads too but I do like making my own sometimes.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have not had any bread since I started dieting but, I do enjoy making my own bread, rolls and pizza dough.

I really enjoy making bread during a blizzard!

The smell of baking bread helps makes a house a home.
I'm in the middle of a blizzard right now and would love to bake some bread, but I cannot go there yet on this diet. I will stick with the crust less, sugar less, pumpkin pie that is making my house smell great!

I love to make home made bread. It just taste so much better than store bought. We do buy bread when I don't have time to make it. Lately I have been buying it because it is easier for me to leave it alone that way.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Store bought bread is JUNK, full of crap. My dad has perfected his bread. You'd be amazed what 15 or 20 years of perfecting his bread tastes like; without the high sugar, salt, preservatives of store breads. The flavor is AMAZING. People keep telling him he'd make millions selling it.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyB View Post
Store bought bread is JUNK, full of crap. My dad has perfected his bread. You'd be amazed what 15 or 20 years of perfecting his bread tastes like; without the high sugar, salt, preservatives of store breads. The flavor is AMAZING. People keep telling him he'd make millions selling it.
That is AMAZING. Especially since so many people consider sugar and salt a pleasant flavor.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That is AMAZING. Especially since so many people consider sugar and salt a pleasant flavor.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
When I have time I bake our bread. Baking bread paid for the mixer.

Andy, if you lean that cookbook really really close to the mixer it will bake the bread for you, as long as you don't get it wet in the...errmm.. sink.

Awww, poor Andy.

Will you ever live that incident seat up or down?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #29
Head Chef

I love to bake bread but buying it from the store is just so much easier.

Time is a large factor.

I've been experimenting with pizza dough but I don't think I'll ever find the dough I want.

Maybe if I figure out my oven set up I'll get there.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyB View Post
Betsy, IMO it depends on where in the store you're picking the bread up from. The bread aisle with commercially made fluffy stuff? OK, I'll agree with you. But our local grocery store makes quite a few in-store types with ingredient labels that read like my own bread recipes at home. I rarely find time to make homemade bread (and when I do make it the danged loaf evaporates the same day!) so when our neighboring town's artisanal bread bakery closed I was on a mission to find good store bread. Hubby wonders why it takes me so long to shop - I tell him ya gotta read the labels!