"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Betsy, IMO it depends on where in the store you're picking the bread up from. The bread aisle with commercially made fluffy stuff? OK, I'll agree with you. But our local grocery store makes quite a few in-store types with ingredient labels that read like my own bread recipes at home. I rarely find time to make homemade bread (and when I do make it the danged loaf evaporates the same day!) so when our neighboring town's artisanal bread bakery closed I was on a mission to find good store bread. Hubby wonders why it takes me so long to shop - I tell him ya gotta read the labels!
On every single thing in the store. I dodged a bullet the other day, picked up Kirkland Marinara Sauce and spaced on reading the label. Luckily, no HFCS, quite tasty!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

I've never actually had homemade bread, so I can't say (no one I know makes it and I don't have the inclination).

I like the Nature's Own 14 grain bread. I'm not a fan most breads that aren't heavy on the grains.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That is AMAZING. Especially since so many people consider sugar and salt a pleasant flavor.
True, but too much of a good thing....you know what they say.... store bought breads have like 4 or 5 grams of sugar per slice and we get use to that flavor. That is ridiculous, that's a teaspoon of sugar in one thin slice! It's not a dessert. My dad uses a tablepoon for the entire loaf and 1.5 teaspoon salt for the whole loaf, but trust me, you don't miss it, it doesn't taste bland the way in which he bakes it and the ingredients he uses. Store bought is loaded with so much salt and sugar to taste good and preserve it amongst all the other un-pronouncable preservatives yuck. Daves Killer bread tastes decent with all the seeds and all, then I read the ingredients and think, yep, multi millionaire Dave is killing us with his bread!

One thing about my dads bread though is the next day it's not the same. It goes from sheer perfection down to just good. Then the day after that, we make another and the rest goes to the birds. Super short shelf life is the trade off, thus cannot really be sold.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Betsy, IMO it depends on where in the store you're picking the bread up from. The bread aisle with commercially made fluffy stuff? OK, I'll agree with you. But our local grocery store makes quite a few in-store types with ingredient labels that read like my own bread recipes at home. I rarely find time to make homemade bread (and when I do make it the danged loaf evaporates the same day!) so when our neighboring town's artisanal bread bakery closed I was on a mission to find good store bread. Hubby wonders why it takes me so long to shop - I tell him ya gotta read the labels!
I completely agree cooking goddess, there are exceptions, but not in the regular bread aisle. Buying fresh from the bakery helps a lot. It's true, it takes time. My dad is quick but only because he's done it so long.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyB View Post
I completely agree cooking goddess, there are exceptions, but not in the regular bread aisle. Buying fresh from the bakery helps a lot. It's true, it takes time. My dad is quick but only because he's done it so long.
Is your dad willing to share the recipe?...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post

Is your dad willing to share the recipe?...
I second the request
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

I don't know chopper, you laughed when someone else kinda made fun of me. But sure I will ask him this weekend when I visit & let you guys know :)

But 3 things you should know:

1. If you don't have time for putting ingredients in a bread maker and letting IT do all the work, you likely won't have time for this because his bread is made mostly in the oven, the bread maker is a small part of the process, he does it daily.

2. Even the bread coming solely out of a bread maker without the added work of the oven, is still better than store bought in flavor and ingredients you choose. I actually think that *some* store bought taste good, though not like his of course, but not worth it to me as I get enough preservatives and junk from other food. I can't afford to eat organic for instance, so like many, I eat GMO's, pesticides, hormones etc... While I have amazing bread, I don't have access to other healthy foods that are more important.

3. Like with anything else, if it takes too good, it's almost impossible not to overeat the bread. It smells up their entire house. The crispy outside, soft warm inside. I have gained weight as a result and my body doesn't need so much bread anyway. Still, I'd be depressed as heck if I became gluten intolerant.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

We did own a bread machine at one time and used to make lots of bread, but now we like to go to an Italian bakery up the road and buy their crusty continentals and ciabatta's etc
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
We did own a bread machine at one time and used to make lots of bread, but now we like to go to an Italian bakery up the road and buy their crusty continentals and ciabatta's etc
You're right. We all got sick of the bread machine bread over time. It was good, but everyday for years is too much. So my had began making other varieties including baguettes. Their not just different shape, totally different flavor. You can make ciabbatas as well by making the dough in the machine and then cooking it in the oven.

I googled baguette and bread machine and got a bunch of recipes that look like his, which involve the oven as well as the bread maker. I don't remember his exact recipe and it's changed, but these recipes look quite familiar as far as the ingredients and perhaps the actual baking portion too. The end result is also similar looking, don't know about the flavor.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

I think it's important to point out that not all store bought bread is unhealthy.

Nature's Own 100% whole wheat has no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, and no HFCS. It also tastes far better than any other bread I've bought, including fresh from the bakery. It doesn't have a long shelf life, likely due to the no preservatives.

Yes, it has sugar, but only 2g. They do make a sugar-free bread as well. Considering the DV for added sugar is 24-36 grams, a sandwich with store bought bread is hardly something to concern myself with.

Homemade doesn't always automatically equal healthier. I've seen plenty of "home cooked" things that would give me a coronary if I ate it lol.