Bread homemade or store bought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer home-made bread for everything except basic, soft whole-wheat sandwich bread. I just haven't mastered a soft wheat bread yet. I'm currently playing with different combinations of flour though and have bought wheat and a grinder to make my own flour, so I'm playing with hard white and hard red. I'm hopeful that I'll figure out a good sandwich loaf soon. I also haven't played much with multi-grain. Costco here carries a hearty-yet-moist multi-grain bread that is divine. I guess that will be the next task after the wheat sandwich loaf.

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone. :neutral: <-that's not neutral like it says when you roll your cursor over it. It's my stern face. It's very intimidating.

If you are not careful, Frank, she will put her hands on her hips. I think she means it, better give over.

I just make bread bc I enjoy doing so and I have a limited food budget. I find that the more I make from scratch the better off I am and my blood sugar levels show it (I'm a diabetic). It's also something that I do well and it makes my family happy. For example, I make sourdough bread from my own homemade sourdough starter. Bc I was so successful, I also made another sourdough starter at my husband's family cottage in Michigan (the water and air change the flavor of the starter). I call it my Carp Lake sourdough bread. My in laws LOVED it! And I enjoy doing these things for people I love.

I've always wanted to learn how to make sourdough bread. I don't have a recipe, though. I'm also diabetic. Does making bread from scratch really help keep the sugar levels more stable? If it does, I'd be willing to try it.

I've always wanted to learn how to make sourdough bread. I don't have a recipe, though. I'm also diabetic. Does making bread from scratch really help keep the sugar levels more stable? If it does, I'd be willing to try it.

Give a look at Sourdoughhome - An Exploration of Sourdough

Making bread let's you control what's in it, so indirectly yes, it will help with sugar levels.

Give a look at Sourdoughhome - An Exploration of Sourdough

Making bread let's you control what's in it, so indirectly yes, it will help with sugar levels.

That's pretty much what I was going to say! Just trying to find the way to word it. Also if you like YouTube go to the Noreen's Kitchen channel (atticus9799) go to her playlists and look for How To Sourdough. She has a really great method on how to make a starter. Every time I've used her method (3 times). It's worked for me.

If you are not careful, Frank, she will put her hands on her hips. I think she means it, better give over.

:ermm: :ohmy: Worse yet, she will call you by your first and middle names. Then you will know she means business. And if she adds that last name? Well I hate to even think about that! :angel:

In the summertime I generally resort to store bought. In cooler weather I prefer to bake my own. To my taste some bakeries can produce loaves that are as good as or better than mine but I do not know of any such bakeries within 50+ miles of me.

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone. :neutral: <-that's not neutral like it says when you roll your cursor over it. It's my stern face. It's very intimidating.

Sorry I missed this.

I don't know the secret, cause well, it is a secret.

;)

We eat bread all the time around here... For breakfast, for lunch and for dinner !
So you'll have to make a lot of it if you want it to last a bit.
Maybe we became lazy because of all the bakeries you can find.

We eat bread all the time around here... For breakfast, for lunch and for dinner !
So you'll have to make a lot of it if you want it to last a bit.
Maybe we became lazy because of all the bakeries you can find.

I wouldn't call you lazy. Not everyone's into baking bread like I am.

That's pretty much what I was going to say! Just trying to find the way to word it. Also if you like YouTube go to the Noreen's Kitchen channel (atticus9799) go to her playlists and look for How To Sourdough. She has a really great method on how to make a starter. Every time I've used her method (3 times). It's worked for me.

Fairygirl, thanks for the recommendation. Have her searched and bookmarked for later. Getting some music for my mom right now - from the late, great George Jones. Seems strange to say that.

Forgive my verve into an off-topic subject.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom