"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bread homemade or store bought?

Ever since a friend gave me her mother's kitchen aid stand mixer I have discovered a love for baking my own bread. We now just make our own bread instead of buying it bc we prefer the texture and taste. But I have heard that there are those people who prefer store bread. Where do you fall?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't make a lot of bread other than bagels for my breakfast. It's not a matter of liking store bought bread more than homemade. I haven't taken the time to get into baking consistently good breads. I did buy a bread cookbook!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairygirl69 View Post
Ever since a friend gave me her mother's kitchen aid stand mixer I have discovered a love for baking my own bread. We now just make our own bread instead of buying it bc we prefer the texture and taste. But I have heard that there are those people who prefer store bread. Where do you fall?
When I have time I bake our bread. Baking bread paid for the mixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't make a lot of bread other than bagels for my breakfast. It's not a matter of liking store bought bread more than homemade. I haven't taken the time to get into baking consistently good breads. I did buy a bread cookbook!
Andy, if you lean that cookbook really really close to the mixer it will bake the bread for you, as long as you don't get it wet in the...errmm.. sink.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

More reading material for the uhh, storage closet
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I never buy bread--haven''t for years. I use my bread machine to make the dough (or my stand mixer). I much prefer to make my own. I do not, however, eat a lot of bread. I have adapted my grandmother's bread recipes to make the dough in the bread machine and find the texture and taste are the same as when I don't use the bread machine. For someone with arthritis in the hands/wrists, a bread machine or stand mixer is much easier on the body than kneading by hand. I never bake the bread in the bread machine.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I eat a lot of bread and I've found it easier to simply buy it as needed. I can get whatever variety I want that way and be eating it for dinner that night.
I did go through a phase of making my own for quite a while, but I've gone through a lot of phases. Now the mood has to strike me right to make my own french bread or sandwich bread.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
...Andy, if you lean that cookbook really really close to the mixer it will bake the bread for you, as long as you don't get it wet in the...errmm.. sink.

I guess I'll never live that down!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Senior Cook

People just laugh and roll their eyes when they hear we only eat homemade bread at our house lol. But I find it calms me and I get a sense of accomplishment from it.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I haven't purchased commercially-produced bread products in more years than I can count. I've always made all our bread goods. Just made a big batch of Kaiser rolls to put in the freezer.

I've been making my own bread for so long that I've streamlined the process so I can make several different types in one morning.

As someone else already mentioned, I use a bread machine for the kneading and first rise. Good old "arthur" has seized my hands, so hand-kneading is out of the question.

I've had my bread machine since 1999 and I have yet to bake any bread in it.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Master Chef

Recently I started to make some breads. But i am far from perfection, I do not have enough time ususally, so I try to ake when I can, and when I cannot I buy it from the store, but the bakery we buy from is most exelent one.