Bread homemade or store bought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
Ever since a friend gave me her mother's kitchen aid stand mixer I have discovered a love for baking my own bread. We now just make our own bread instead of buying it bc we prefer the texture and taste. But I have heard that there are those people who prefer store bread. Where do you fall?

I don't make a lot of bread other than bagels for my breakfast. It's not a matter of liking store bought bread more than homemade. I haven't taken the time to get into baking consistently good breads. I did buy a bread cookbook! :angel:

Ever since a friend gave me her mother's kitchen aid stand mixer I have discovered a love for baking my own bread. We now just make our own bread instead of buying it bc we prefer the texture and taste. But I have heard that there are those people who prefer store bread. Where do you fall?

When I have time I bake our bread. Baking bread paid for the mixer.

I don't make a lot of bread other than bagels for my breakfast. It's not a matter of liking store bought bread more than homemade. I haven't taken the time to get into baking consistently good breads. I did buy a bread cookbook! :angel:

Andy, if you lean that cookbook really really close to the mixer it will bake the bread for you, as long as you don't get it wet in the...errmm.. sink.

:ROFLMAO:

I never buy bread--haven''t for years. I use my bread machine to make the dough (or my stand mixer). I much prefer to make my own. I do not, however, eat a lot of bread. I have adapted my grandmother's bread recipes to make the dough in the bread machine and find the texture and taste are the same as when I don't use the bread machine. For someone with arthritis in the hands/wrists, a bread machine or stand mixer is much easier on the body than kneading by hand. I never bake the bread in the bread machine.

I eat a lot of bread and I've found it easier to simply buy it as needed. I can get whatever variety I want that way and be eating it for dinner that night.
I did go through a phase of making my own for quite a while, but I've gone through a lot of phases. Now the mood has to strike me right to make my own french bread or sandwich bread.

People just laugh and roll their eyes when they hear we only eat homemade bread at our house lol. But I find it calms me and I get a sense of accomplishment from it.

I haven't purchased commercially-produced bread products in more years than I can count. I've always made all our bread goods. Just made a big batch of Kaiser rolls to put in the freezer.

I've been making my own bread for so long that I've streamlined the process so I can make several different types in one morning.

As someone else already mentioned, I use a bread machine for the kneading and first rise. Good old "arthur" has seized my hands, so hand-kneading is out of the question.

I've had my bread machine since 1999 and I have yet to bake any bread in it.

Recently I started to make some breads. But i am far from perfection, I do not have enough time ususally, so I try to ake when I can, and when I cannot I buy it from the store, but the bakery we buy from is most exelent one.

Recently my specialty is something I call Carp Lake sourdough bread. It's named after the cottage my husband's family has near Mackinaw Michigan. The last time we went there for vacation, I made a special sourdough starter in that cottage and that is the secret ingredient in the bread. My in laws LOVE it!

We make a lot of dough with our KA, but most of it isn't bread dough!;) We've ground more meat and stuffed more sausage with the mixer than bread dough.:rolleyes:

Ain't nothing wrong with that. During the summer I'll grind meat for the best hamburgers and I'll be smoking homemade sausages this summer. Mmmmm mmmmm!

The only dough I make is pizza dough. I've tried making my own bread and had mixed results. Not having someone to show me and allow me to feel how the dough should be after kneading, I find I tend to overdo it and come out with rock hard bread or I don't let it rise enough or something. I had a bread machine for a while and that was good but it was taking up too much counter space in my old kitchen for the amount of use it got. Out it went. I buy my bread. Sometimes it's just the regular old white sandwich but I like having some rye and whole wheat and sourdough on hand as well.

I love baking my own bread and DH loves eating it .. therein lies the problem. So I only make it once in a while. He eats less bread if it's store bought.

I have not had any bread since I started dieting but, I do enjoy making my own bread, rolls and pizza dough.

I really enjoy making bread during a blizzard!

The smell of baking bread helps makes a house a home.

We eat almost entirely homemade bread. It used to be 100%, but recently I had an injury which curtailed my bread making for several weeks. So we started buying occasional loaves of peasant bread from a nearby Italian deli. I have to say that it's very good, although more expensive than the homemade stuff.

I'm now back to making bread once every couple weeks.

I do most of it in the food processor. I've got it down to the point where I can throw the dough together in about 5 minutes. With the no-knead recipe I use, I just leave it sit on the countertop until the following evening, at which time it goes in the oven.

I'll make bread in the cold weather. I, too, have found the bread machine good for its "dough" setting but not so good for a finished product. When I take it out of the tub I'll give it a few pats and cuddles, then let it do its second rise on the counter.

Had an artisan bread bakery two towns over but they closed a couple years ago. We have a local grocery store that makes some nice sturdy breads, but now they're opening a Panera's just a couple miles from our home. If they do one thing right it IS bread!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom