"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Would there be an issue proofing the yeast with milk?
Bread machines receipes are generally geared toward "timed baking" so you don't proof the yeast, just hope it's still alive.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Milk has a "denaturing" effect on gluten, making it more "slippery" resulting in a softer "crumb" and smaller holes. Both powdered and regular milk achieve this, but the difference is the liquid content has to be accounted for in the recipe that only calls for powdered milk.

It's not a big deal which one you use, but merely using a little forethought in producing the proper stiffness to the dough during mixing. It's easier to adjust when kneading by hand, but you can also do it in the machine if you test the amount of spring when lightly pressing on the surface of the dough when it's in the knead cycle. When it's dimpled by your finger, is should spring back at least half way.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Bread machines typically use instant yeast, so no proofing necessary, but if you use regular yeast and proof it in milk (which I've never heard of) I'm pretty sure you would need to scald the milk like I mentioned earlier. At least King Arthur recommends scalding, so it doesn't affect the yeast, but some people say you don't need to scald pasteurized milk. When I used regular milk instead of dry I scalded the milk. Maybe someone needs to do a comparison.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Bread machines typically use instant yeast, so no proofing necessary, but if you use regular yeast and proof it in milk (which I've never heard of) I'm pretty sure you would need to scald the milk like I mentioned earlier. At least King Arthur recommends scalding, so it doesn't affect the yeast, but some people say you don't need to scald pasteurized milk. When I used regular milk instead of dry I scalded the milk. Maybe someone needs to do a comparison.
I have made all kinds of bread dough using a bread machine. I have used milk, sour cream and milk, water, powdered buttermilk, dry milk, buttermilk, potato water...I don't bake the bread in the machine. I don't like the crust. So, I guess I use mine like you'd use a mixer with a dough hook. I find as I get older, kneading is harder to do, so I use the machine to mix the dough. I made a whole-wheat french bread yesterday. Bread machines can cut the cost of bread and you control the ingredients. I think the DH figured out that his "daily" bread costs about 50 cents/loaf with the cost of the electricity and the ingredients. Now, electricity rates, flour, etc. have gone up in price since he figured this out...might be $1 now.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you, CW!
I've always wondered if someone ever did an actual price comparison. I might have to go back to making my own loaves again. I got lazy after the initial wow factor wore off and only make half a dozen (or so) loaves in my machine per year now. I'm all for saving a buck though.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have made all kinds of bread dough using a bread machine. I have used milk, sour cream and milk, water, powdered buttermilk, dry milk, buttermilk, potato water...I don't bake the bread in the machine. I don't like the crust. So, I guess I use mine like you'd use a mixer with a dough hook. I find as I get older, kneading is harder to do, so I use the machine to mix the dough. I made a whole-wheat french bread yesterday. Bread machines can cut the cost of bread and you control the ingredients. I think the DH figured out that his "daily" bread costs about 50 cents/loaf with the cost of the electricity and the ingredients. Now, electricity rates, flour, etc. have gone up in price since he figured this out...might be $1 now.

I got it in hopes of saving money, and have occasionally been making my own bread off and on. It does save money. I got the bread maker in hopes of saving time too. We will see how it pays off. I got it for $3 so I think I should be able to make that up in about 2 loves

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
Senior Cook

OK I got some dried milk. I was able to get a small bag for about $3. I think I am going to make a loaf tonight. Do you have any tips?

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I used to use powdered milk in recipes, back when it was a lot cheaper than fresh milk. Now it costs a fair bit more than fresh, so I'm not nearly as interested. The stuff is virtually undrinkable.

Tags
bread