"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Bread pudding help needed

I need to make a good sized dessert for a potluck tonight and thought that a bread pudding might be good. I want to use fresh apricots and cherries - lots of em.

All the recipes I have found seem to be for dried fruit and I'm concerned that I as the apricots cook, they'll get very juicy and throw off the texture. Does anyone have some proportions that might be helpful for the custard part of this dessert?

I was planning to use:

Croissants
Fresh apricots and cherries (I have fruit trees in back yard)
eggs
milk
cream
sugar
almonds
seasoning as needed

any suggestions?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Fresh apricots and cherries (I have fruit trees in back yard)
Brag, brag, brag...... just kidding!
I have seen recipes using canned fruit cocktail.
Everything else being equal (in the absence of a recipe you are planning to use), I would use 5 or 6 cups of the croissants to about 2 cups of fruit.
But then, I am just guessing.
Good luck!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Master Chef

I share your concerns, how about a conventional bread pudding and a sauce made using the apricots or cherries, sugar, cornstarch and a shot of rum or cognac. The sauce would be good hot or cold. If you opt for hot it should hold in a crock pot set on low. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Everymom

1/4 cup brandy
2 2/3 cups milk
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

That's the custard part of my bread pudding. I figure if you account for about 1 cup of liquid coming off the fruit you could adjust accordingly. I normally use enough croissants to FILL a big corning ware dish. Its a bit bigger than 9x13.

I've not used fresh fruit in mine Janet, but it sounds lovely. Pictures please!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Perhaps a mixed fruit cobbler instead............

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #6

Site Administrator

Alix - that's a great help thanks so much. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and wing it... if it fails utterly, it can always be turned into fritters for breakfast ;)
Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #7

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Perhaps a mixed fruit cobbler instead............

Yes, but I have all these croissants....
Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Everymom

Nonononono cobbler. MUST use the croissants! They make the most decadent and sinful bread pudding EVER. Mmmmmm...now I'm jonesing.

Janet, if you have any lovely chocolate chunks to toss into the croissants with the cherries...just thinking out loud here.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I typically make creme brulee, and use that as the basis, but more heavy on the vanilla, and I typically do whit chocolate and fresh blueberries. Whiskey Butter sauce to finish.

For the winter, I would do the same base, but with cherries, toasted walnuts, and those caramels you can get in bulk at the grocery store, in the bulk candy bins. . . creme anglaise to finish.

I think you are on the right path, that's for sure. I think the richness of the custard, and croissant will be cut nicely by the tart of the cherries, and sweetness of the apricots.
Instead of a sauce, since it's stinking hot, maybe a scoop of good ole vanilla ice cream, and let that melt a little on top.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Master Chef

Ok; now you've got me thinking, and that's a dangerous thing. I'm thinking a hybrid desert with a classic fruit cobler base, but topped with a vanilla and cinamon bread pudding topping, browned lightly uner a broiler, maybe sprinkled with sugar and brule'd.

If it is an adult only pot luck, you could serve this up sprinkled with a bit of brandy or cognac, as a flambe.

Here's how I'd make it:
Cobbler base:
1 cup pitted sour cherries
1 cup peeled and pitted apricots
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cloves

Bread Pudding Topping with Vanilla Sauce:
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 cups whole milk
6 to 8 croissants
1 cup raisins
1 tsp. vanilla

Vanilla Sauce:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350'F

Combine all of the cobler ingredients in a large bowl, and lightly mash, making sure to leave good-sized chunks of fruit. Butter a 9X11 pan and put the fruit mixture into it.

Fold the bread pudding ingredients until thoughouly mixed, but not mashed together. This part should be light and fluffy. Place the mixture on top of the cobbler base. Place the pan into the oven and cook until the bread pudding has a touch of golden brown on top. (about 35 to 40 minutes)

While the desert is baking, Heat the milk until it just begins to simmer. Reduce heat to keep it from boiling, but still hot. Whip the egg in a suitable bowl. Add 1/2 cup of milk slowly to the beaten egg. Whisk the remaining ingredients into the hot milk. Slowly whisk in the egg and let it cook until it thickens enough to coat a spoon. Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap against the sauce to prevent it from forming a skin.

When the desert is done, remove it from the oven and sprinkle sugar all over the bread pudding. Use a kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar. Serve hot with the sauce, or ice cold with the hot sauce ladled over the desert when placed on the serving plates. Keep the sauce warm with a chafing dish.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bread, pudding