"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?
Gotta have bread every meal! 0 0%
Depends on the meal 31 68.89%
Take it or leave it 3 6.67%
Never. It's a waste of space. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #21
Executive Chef

My father would admonish us kids, as he was slathering butter on bread, to not fill up on bread before a meal. I also pass up the bread for other offerings at a meal, in fear of wasting stomach space. And this comes from someone who considers herself a darn good bread baker. I've got two loaves of homemade ww bread in the freezer and will toss one today in preparation of a trip to Trader Joes later this morning.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I love bread and could practically live on it, but unfortunately, I now have diabetes and have to stay away from bread as much as possible.

Bread was not served regularly at meals growing up but you could have it if you wanted it.

My maternal grandfather was from England. He did not permit bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. I never knew why. I wouldn't think it was for dietary reasons as I doubt if he had any knowledge of nutrition besides eating to stay alive. I always wondered if it was an English tradition. They were very poor. I would image they would want to eat whatever was available and cheap.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just wondering...

Do you eat bread as part of your main meal on a regular basis?

Let's not count sandwiches. Also, if you have a dietary issue that prohibits eating bread, what did you do before that came into play?

I do not eat bread as part of my meal. I never really got into the habit. Not at home and not at a restaurant. My Mom and Dad did. So pasta - no garlic bread. Thanksgiving - no rolls. Easter - no hot cross buns. I always felt like I didn't want to use up valuable stomach space for bread when there were so many other goodies on the table.

What about you?

Take a second and complete the poll.
Sometimes. It depends on what it is. Once in a blue moon I'll have the "full English" breakfast and I like a slice of fried bread or just bread sliced off the loaf to soak up the tomato juices and the egg yolk. I might have something on toast for lunch. I wouldn't have it with a "meat and two veg" dinner but definitely with a thick soup for lunch. And of course, freshly fried crinkly chips HAVE to have bread and butter to make a chip "butty" (that's a sandwich to you lot)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I love bread and could practically live on it, but unfortunately, I now have diabetes and have to stay away from bread as much as possible.

Bread was not served regularly at meals growing up but you could have it if you wanted it.

My maternal grandfather was from England. He did not permit bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. I never knew why. I wouldn't think it was for dietary reasons as I doubt if he had any knowledge of nutrition besides eating to stay alive. I always wondered if it was an English tradition. They were very poor. I would image they would want to eat whatever was available and cheap.
Not an English tradition as far as I'm aware but if they were poor they probably couldn't afford to eat bread and potatoes at the same meal.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I was growing up we never had bread with regular suppers. For special occasions there were sometimes rolls or biscuits. I still don't serve plain bread and butter with suppers. There could be rolls with a special supper.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #26
Executive Chef

We almost always used to include bread with dinner.
Now, thinking to eat less carbs, we do not eat bread unless there is no other starch present in the meal.
I love good bread. But its not in my best interest to eat it as much as I used to.

Note: When I say bread, I am talking good bread or rolls. Not sliced white bread.
I don't care for most all prepared loaf breads.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I love good bread. I usually eat it daily but not at every meal. I made garlic knots the other night - yum! My goal is to make it more often, including English muffins and pita.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #28
Wine Guy

When our daughter lived at home, and especially during her teenage years, I baked a lot of homemade bread and we had it almost nightly. I found it was an inexpensive way to stretch calories at dinner.

Now that she's away at college, I only bake once a month or so. We don't eat nearly as much bread as we used to. I still love it, though. There's nothing quite as satisfying as a nice warm chunk of homemade bread with butter or a little olive oil.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Sometimes a good caponade, tapenade or bruschetta topping will make a great meal with good bread.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I have to have crusty bread with Italian food or the meal is not complete, and I have to have sliced bread buttered and folded in half with pork chops braised in Bush's beans (my mother used Campbell's pork and beans because they didn't have Bush's back then). Other than that, I can do without it.

Tags
bread