"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?
Gotta have bread every meal! 0 0%
Depends on the meal 31 68.89%
Take it or leave it 3 6.67%
Never. It's a waste of space. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #31
Sous Chef

I love bread, but if I do serve bread with a meal it's the grain/starch of the meal with only rare exceptions. I'll pick up fresh pitas periodically, still warm when I get them, from the market down the street and serve meat and veggies with tzaziki, hummus, or another sauce to wrap up in it (especially when I pick up some of their lamb, mmm), or I'll serve it with curry if I don't make rice. Occasionally I'll serve bread as a filler if realize I didn't make enough food or I'm in a hurry. I'll eat bread with cheese, eggs, or nut/peanut butter with some fruit for breakfast fairly often, usually as I'm running out the door.

I don't typically make pasta with sauces per say. I usually sautee veggies and meat with garlic and onions and herbs and dress it with a bit of oil and finish it with cheese, or make a light sauce in a sautee pan and toss the pasta in it, but occasionally I'll actually simmer a red sauce in a pot. When I do, I sometimes make garlic bread to go along with it (maybe a couple times a year). DH says stew is made to eat with biscuits, so if I make stew he usually makes biscuits, though I prefer crusty whole wheat bread with mine. When I make my parents' classic hamburger soup (just ground beef, onion, carrot, celery, potatoes and peas all boiled together into a soup) it must be eaten with a slice of buttered bread.

Last spring I bought some wheat berries and a hand-crank grinder and got hooked on home made bread made with freshly ground flour. I use a combination of hard red a white wheat, half ground finely and half coarser and blend that with a bit of white bread flour. It bakes up sky high and has incredible flavor. Sadly I haven't been making it as often lately, so when I do I'm liable to come home from work to find out DH and the girls have polished off half a loaf or more in my absence and then he'll want to take some to work to boot!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Although I am a card-carrying member of the bread-eating tribe, I rarely eat bread. I LOVE bread--all types of homemade bread--flat, unleavened, dark rye, white squishy bread, you name it, I probably will start to drool. However, I rarely eat bread. I think naan compliments many Indian dishes, in the same way that a fresh baguette compliments dishes offered and there's just nothing that can compete with fresh. homemade Limpa or perfect lefse. When I host a holiday meal, I always include homemade bread/rolls. I just don't eat bread often because it is not part of my "new since 2012" way of eating.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
When our daughter lived at home, and especially during her teenage years, I baked a lot of homemade bread and we had it almost nightly. I found it was an inexpensive way to stretch calories at dinner.

Now that she's away at college, I only bake once a month or so. We don't eat nearly as much bread as we used to. I still love it, though. There's nothing quite as satisfying as a nice warm chunk of homemade bread with butter or a little olive oil.
or the "scum" of homemade chokecherry or wild grape jam. You know what I mean, being from MN and all. Did you watch the debut of Fargo?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
or the "scum" of homemade chokecherry or wild grape jam. You know what I mean, being from MN and all. Did you watch the debut of Fargo?
Mmmm. Chokecherry jam! Grandma and Great Aunt would make it. We'd try to eat the chokecherries plain, and there's a reason they're called that....
Old 04-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I love bread and could practically live on it, but unfortunately, I now have diabetes and have to stay away from bread as much as possible.

Bread was not served regularly at meals growing up but you could have it if you wanted it.

My maternal grandfather was from England. He did not permit bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. I never knew why. I wouldn't think it was for dietary reasons as I doubt if he had any knowledge of nutrition besides eating to stay alive. I always wondered if it was an English tradition. They were very poor. I would imagine they would want to eat whatever was available and cheap.
My mother had the same rule. She said it was because you don't serve two starches at the same meal. I find myself (except for holidays) doing the same thing. Chicken and dumplings? No bread. Soup that had noodles in it? The same. No bread.

I remember when one member here said that as a child, they were very poor. They were lucky to have just bread sometimes for a meal. That thought breaks my heart. I can't stand to think of a child going hungry.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We always had crackers with any kind of soup or chowder. Now it's a rarity.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We always had crackers with any kind of soup or chowder. Now it's a rarity.
Same here. We always had oysterette crackers on hand. I have some right now in my cabinet.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #38
Master Chef

Unfortunately I eat too much bread. Russian thing, I guess.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #39
Senior Cook

I too love it. Unfortunately Carbs and I don't agree. I can literally go to a good Italian resturant, 1 loaf bread, olive oil and wine and I am good.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #40
Wine Guy

What is everyone's deal with carbs anymore? I just don't get it. It's like the new taboo food - sort of like fats were in the eighties. Humans have been eating carbohydrates for millennia, and in the last 10 years it's suddenly become a bad thing?

Pick your carbs wisely and you shouldn't have to worry about including them as part of a healthy diet.

Tags
bread