"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?
Gotta have bread every meal! 0 0%
Depends on the meal 31 68.89%
Take it or leave it 3 6.67%
Never. It's a waste of space. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #51
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Carbs have become the nemesis of today's society due to the explosion of Diabetes II. I think if someone ran a poll asking Do you have Diabetes II, the "Yes" bar would need a second page due to the number of responses. Diet and controlling what foods a diabetic eats is the very center of how to control the disease.
This is a gross oversimplification. Type II diabetes has a genetic component, but is also triggered by lifestyle factors - primarily obesity. Obesity can be caused by eating too much of anything, not just carbohydrates alone. This comes from the American Diabetes Association, and has been backed up by a number of studies.

Complex carbohydrates can also be a healthy part of a diabetic's diet. This, again, is according to the American Diabetes Association.

But as I said earlier, I'm not talking about diabetes - or at least not directly. I think the primary reason carbs have gotten such a bad rap is because the majority of carbs consumed in this country comes from unhealthy sources, including soft drinks, restaurant super-sizing, and an overall increase in the number of processed food products on the market. Rather than cut back on these foods, the nature of our society is to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Instead of reducing the consumption of "bad" carbs, the knee jerk response is to eliminate carbs altogether.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
This is a gross oversimplification. Type II diabetes has a genetic component, but is also triggered by lifestyle factors - primarily obesity. Obesity can be caused by eating too much of anything, not just carbohydrates alone. This comes from the American Diabetes Association, and has been backed up by a number of studies.

Complex carbohydrates can also be a healthy part of a diabetic's diet. This, again, is according to the American Diabetes Association.

But as I said earlier, I'm not talking about diabetes - or at least not directly. I think the primary reason carbs have gotten such a bad rap is because the majority of carbs consumed in this country comes from unhealthy sources, including soft drinks, restaurant super-sizing, and an overall increase in the number of processed food products on the market. Rather than cut back on these foods, the nature of our society is to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Instead of reducing the consumption of "bad" carbs, the knee jerk response is to eliminate carbs altogether.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

What does that mean, Steve?
Not that I'm a carb counter, but if I make my own mac and cheese does it have less carbs that the Kraft box version or frozen Stouffers (sp?)? If I make my own bread does it contain less carbs than comparable storebought bread?
We're just talking carbs here. I realize it's supposed to be healthier to make your own, less preservatives/chemicals/salt and all, but why would processed food contain more carbs?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What does that mean, Steve?
Not that I'm a carb counter, but if I make my own mac and cheese does it have less carbs that the Kraft box version or frozen Stouffers (sp?)? If I make my own bread does it contain less carbs than comparable storebought bread?
We're just talking carbs here. I realize it's supposed to be healthier to make your own, less preservatives/chemicals/salt and all, but why would processed food contain more carbs?

I think he's referring to processed carbs like flour and sugar rather than natural carbs like beans and whole grains.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Lot's of processed has sugar, where a normal person wouldn't put sugar if they were making it "from scratch".
Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think he's referring to processed carbs like flour and sugar rather than natural carbs like beans and whole grains.
I guess my lack of understanding then is the word "processed".
What is a processed carb as compared to one that isn't processed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Lot's of processed has sugar, where a normal person wouldn't put sugar if they were making it "from scratch".
Why wouldn't they? Bread likes sugar to feed the yeast, tomato based sauces like sugar to cut the acidity... you totally lost me. Why wouldn't a "normal" person not use sugar whereas a storebought food would?

And could someone tell me what "processed" means? It seems to be a general term for something not homemade. I know I must be missing something.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #57
Executive Chef

As a type 2 diabetic, I would like to say that if I followed the rules of the ADA of eating 45 gr of carb at each meal and 15 gm of carb with 2 snacks I would have to be on a lot more medication than I am on. I can eat about 35 to 50 gm of carb per day to keep my glucose levels within a safe range.

I think cutting carbs has become so popular because it is possible to lose weight very quickly by doing so.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #58
Certified Pretend Chef

pac, processed carbs are those found in processed foods like white flour and granulated sugar. Carbs that are eaten in their original form like those in beans, veggies, fruits and whole grains are preferred.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
As a type 2 diabetic, I would like to say that if I followed the rules of the ADA of eating 45 gr of carb at each meal and 15 gm of carb with 2 snacks I would have to be on a lot more medication than I am on. I can eat about 35 to 50 gm of carb per day to keep my glucose levels within a safe range.

I think cutting carbs has become so popular because it is possible to lose weight very quickly by doing so.
My experience is very similar to yours. I choose to restrict my carbs so that I don't have to go to the next step of taking insulin injections to control my blood sugar, the tradeoff is worth it to me. I think the key for folks like us is that we do it under a doctors care and with periodic laboratory testing.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
pac, processed carbs are those found in processed foods like white flour and granulated sugar. Carbs that are eaten in their original form like those in beans, veggies, fruits and whole grains are preferred.
So what's the difference between homemade bread and storebought when it comes to carbs?
Don't they both use granulated sugar and white flour?

Tags
bread