"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?
Gotta have bread every meal! 0 0%
Depends on the meal 31 68.89%
Take it or leave it 3 6.67%
Never. It's a waste of space. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #61
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
So what's the difference between homemade bread and storebought when it comes to carbs?
Don't they both use granulated sugar and white flour?
If the homemade bread is white bread, no difference.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
So what's the difference between homemade bread and storebought when it comes to carbs?
Well, they could both be made with whole grain flour.

I buy wholegrain bread that's made without sugar.

Store bought tomato sauce probably has more sugar than homemade. BTW, I don't add sugar to tomato sauce. I find most of the store bought stuff too sweet.

When I make muesli, it has a fair amount of carbs, but they are from whole grains, nuts, and dry fruit, no added sugar. My homemade granola probably has less added sugar ,from honey, that store bought. I've seen sugar as an ingredient in store bought salad dressing and soup. I've seen corn starch added to stuff that I would never have considered adding corn starch.

I can't remember all the stuff that has sugar or corn starch where you don't expect it. I avoid those things.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just wondering...

Do you eat bread as part of your main meal on a regular basis?

Let's not count sandwiches. Also, if you have a dietary issue that prohibits eating bread, what did you do before that came into play?

I do not eat bread as part of my meal. I never really got into the habit. Not at home and not at a restaurant. My Mom and Dad did. So pasta - no garlic bread. Thanksgiving - no rolls. Easter - no hot cross buns. I always felt like I didn't want to use up valuable stomach space for bread when there were so many other goodies on the table.

What about you?

Take a second and complete the poll.
Back on the original question, I did not grow up eating bread for every meal. I did have sandwiches for lunch fairly often (still do, usually with just store brand wheat bread), and sometimes dinner rolls with a nice holiday meal.

However, sometimes the bread offered is one of the real goodies being served, and then I definitely will have some. I like good quality breads - white and other grains, I'm not that fussy about it - but I eat them in moderation for the same reason as Andy states - I want to make sure that I don't miss out on anything else on the table.

Probably one of my most common ways of eating "bread" with a meal is when I have pizza. Then the "bread" also serves as the plate.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If the homemade bread is white bread, no difference.
Thanks. I didn't think so. Strictly talking carbs that is.
Which brings us full circle to my questioning the generalization that processed food has more carbs.
Anyway...
Old 04-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #65
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
In homemade bread you can control the sugar levels. That helps.

You don't need to add sugar to bread to make the yeast happy.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
In homemade bread you can control the sugar levels. That helps.

Interesting. Thanks for the information.
All my bread recipes have called for sugar, so I (erroneously) thought it was needed.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #67
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Processed, to me, means needing a copy of the Periodic Table to figure out what is in my food. I'm talking about those compound elements added that are difficult to pronounce.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Same here, Fi.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #69
Head Chef

I love bread and would have it at all meals, but had to mark the 'depends on the meal.' It has become so much easier to put on weight the older I get, so I sacrifice the baked goods for the calorie count. The main exception is BLTs made at the height of 'good' tomato season. YOLO.

I can recall when very small that the bread was the meal -- a bowl of Mom's cornbread (sometimes with cracklins), crumbled, with milk or buttermilk poured over it. I guess we were poor -- I just didn't know it.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #70
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Absolutely. A lot of people think you need oil for homemade bread, too. The recipe I've used for much of the last 10 years has three ingredients (four, if you include water): flour, yeast, salt. I usually use a mix of flours. White flour does comprise a portion, simply because it has a higher gluten content than whole grain flour. But most of the time I use either whole wheat or rye to make up the balance. I've tried cutting back the salt, but I'll be honest... it doesn't taste as good. I like salt.

Quote:
What does that mean, Steve?
Not that I'm a carb counter, but if I make my own mac and cheese does it have less carbs that the Kraft box version or frozen Stouffers (sp?)? If I make my own bread does it contain less carbs than comparable storebought bread?
We're just talking carbs here. I realize it's supposed to be healthier to make your own, less preservatives/chemicals/salt and all, but why would processed food contain more carbs?
First, my definition of processed is pretty much the same as PF's. If it was designed in a laboratory and the list of ingredients takes up the entire side of the box, chances are it's processed.

Regarding mac and cheese, it depends on what you put in your homemade version. The boxed versions probably have more carbs, though. If you look at the box and see ingredients like modified food starch, cornstarch, high fructose corn syrup, or any ingredient ending in "ose", that translates to carbs. Manufacturers tend to put a lot of these sort of things in packaged products to improve the flavor. This includes any of the following:
  • sugar, brown sugar, raw or invert sugar
  • corn sweetener
  • syrup or malt syrup
  • corn syrup or high-fructose corn syrup
  • honey
  • molasses
  • fruit juice concentrates
  • glucose
  • lactose
  • dextrose
  • fructose
  • maltose

When I say things like "pick your carbs wisely", I don't entirely mean the type of carbs, but also the percentage of carbs in your meal. It seems like nutrition experts vilify white rice, but the fact remains that at least a quarter of the world's population eats white rice every single day and suffers no ill effects as a result. But they usually balance it out with fresh vegetables, protein, and fats, so that the meal isn't overly heavy in carbohydrates. And they don't typically wash down meals with a 20 oz. Mountain Dew.

Tags
bread