"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?
Gotta have bread every meal! 0 0%
Depends on the meal 31 68.89%
Take it or leave it 3 6.67%
Never. It's a waste of space. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #81
Executive Chef

My mother shopped once a month because that's how the money came in. She bought only the food she needed to make meals for the month. She made her own bread...6 loaves once a week. The only milk we had was the powdered milk given to us by the government. Guess who grew up never drinking milk? Also, rarely eating cereal because the milk went on it. Yuk! The only thing there was to eat if you were hungry between meals was bread, and rarely some jelly to put on it. Never peanut butter and never anything to make a sandwich. In fact, many times that was also breakfast and lunch. A slice of bread. When the end of the month came, dinner would often be a big batch of fried potatoes. One year, Christmas dinner was spaghetti. No meatballs. I didn't care, I loved spaghetti!

I knew we were poor, but didn't care as long as I got to go out and play. But as I became an adult I swore I would never let that happen to me, even though, many times it is not within your control, which was the case with my parents. Illness sealed our fate. I think that's why I'm such a penny pincher. I always have to have something put away for a rainy day.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #82
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't ever remember my mother's pantry being as full as I keep mine. Of course she shopped weekly, and me, monthly. And she didn't have a freezer until the late 50's. Yet we always had great meals.
We were a family of 5 (7 on the weekends when the stepsisters came), and we didn't even have a pantry. Mom shopped weekly and somehow managed to store all of that food and prepare it in what would be considered a very small kitchen by today's standards. She baked all the time.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My mother shopped once a month because that's how the money came in. She bought only the food she needed to make meals for the month. She made her own bread...6 loaves once a week. The only milk we had was the powdered milk given to us by the government. Guess who grew up never drinking milk? Also, rarely eating cereal because the milk went on it. Yuk! The only thing there was to eat if you were hungry between meals was bread, and rarely some jelly to put on it. Never peanut butter and never anything to make a sandwich. In fact, many times that was also breakfast and lunch. A slice of bread. When the end of the month came, dinner would often be a big batch of fried potatoes. One year, Christmas dinner was spaghetti. No meatballs. I didn't care, I loved spaghetti!

I knew we were poor, but didn't care as long as I got to go out and play. But as I became an adult I swore I would never let that happen to me, even though, many times it is not within your control, which was the case with my parents. Illness sealed our fate. I think that's why I'm such a penny pincher. I always have to have something put away for a rainy day.
I'm with you!

Your comment made me think of the Delany sisters, they both lived to be over 100 years old and one of them said. " Papa always taught us to save for a rainy day and we did, but we never thought it would rain this long or this hard!"
Old 04-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm with you!

" Papa always taught us to save for a rainy day and we did, but we never thought it would rain this long or this hard!"
I liked that so much I thought it was worth repeating!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm pretty good at slicing evenly. Maybe that's because I am good with my hands... as in crafting or skills I think that's part of the fun of cooking, seeing how evenly you can slice and dice.
But that said I can't help but think a mandolin might have been more useful for not that much more.
It's always fun to get new toys though
Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #86
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm pretty good at slicing evenly. Maybe that's because I am good with my hands... as in crafting or skills I think that's part of the fun of cooking, seeing how evenly you can slice and dice.
But that said I can't help but think a mandolin might have been more useful for not that much more.
It's always fun to get new toys though

My problem with slicing is getting my fingers and thumbs in the way. That can happen with a mandolin, too, unless you get one with that little holder than holds the veggies to keep your fingers away from the blade.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #87
Executive Chef

This thread reminded me that I should bake a batch of soft dinner rolls right now because my mom likes them with her dinner.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #88
Master Chef

I've been trying to eat more healthy bread. Bake my own, but I've been so sick for the past month that I barely was able to boil a tea pot. G-d willing after Passover. Can't wait to bake a loaf of rye bread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 04-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #89
Executive Chef

Just took this small batch of good ol', white, dinner rolls out of the oven. Bringing them to my mother's house today for Easter dinner where they will be eaten with copious amounts of butter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	21121  
Old 04-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Just took this small batch of good ol', white, dinner rolls out of the oven. Bringing them to my mother's house today for Easter dinner where they will be eaten with copious amounts of butter.
What a coincidence. I just finished some bread with copious amounts of butter

Tags
bread