Bread With Your Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?

• Gotta have bread every meal!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the meal

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • Take it or leave it

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Never. It's a waste of space.

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My mother shopped once a month because that's how the money came in. She bought only the food she needed to make meals for the month. She made her own bread...6 loaves once a week. The only milk we had was the powdered milk given to us by the government. Guess who grew up never drinking milk? Also, rarely eating cereal because the milk went on it. Yuk! The only thing there was to eat if you were hungry between meals was bread, and rarely some jelly to put on it. Never peanut butter and never anything to make a sandwich. In fact, many times that was also breakfast and lunch. A slice of bread. When the end of the month came, dinner would often be a big batch of fried potatoes. One year, Christmas dinner was spaghetti. No meatballs. I didn't care, I loved spaghetti!

I knew we were poor, but didn't care as long as I got to go out and play. But as I became an adult I swore I would never let that happen to me, even though, many times it is not within your control, which was the case with my parents. Illness sealed our fate. I think that's why I'm such a penny pincher. I always have to have something put away for a rainy day.

I don't ever remember my mother's pantry being as full as I keep mine. Of course she shopped weekly, and me, monthly. And she didn't have a freezer until the late 50's. Yet we always had great meals. :angel:

We were a family of 5 (7 on the weekends when the stepsisters came), and we didn't even have a pantry. Mom shopped weekly and somehow managed to store all of that food and prepare it in what would be considered a very small kitchen by today's standards. She baked all the time.

My mother shopped once a month because that's how the money came in. She bought only the food she needed to make meals for the month. She made her own bread...6 loaves once a week. The only milk we had was the powdered milk given to us by the government. Guess who grew up never drinking milk? Also, rarely eating cereal because the milk went on it. Yuk! The only thing there was to eat if you were hungry between meals was bread, and rarely some jelly to put on it. Never peanut butter and never anything to make a sandwich. In fact, many times that was also breakfast and lunch. A slice of bread. When the end of the month came, dinner would often be a big batch of fried potatoes. One year, Christmas dinner was spaghetti. No meatballs. I didn't care, I loved spaghetti!

I knew we were poor, but didn't care as long as I got to go out and play. But as I became an adult I swore I would never let that happen to me, even though, many times it is not within your control, which was the case with my parents. Illness sealed our fate. I think that's why I'm such a penny pincher. I always have to have something put away for a rainy day.

I'm with you!

Your comment made me think of the Delany sisters, they both lived to be over 100 years old and one of them said. " Papa always taught us to save for a rainy day and we did, but we never thought it would rain this long or this hard!" :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm pretty good at slicing evenly. Maybe that's because I am good with my hands... as in crafting or skills :angel: I think that's part of the fun of cooking, seeing how evenly you can slice and dice.
But that said I can't help but think a mandolin might have been more useful for not that much more.
It's always fun to get new toys though :)

I'm pretty good at slicing evenly. Maybe that's because I am good with my hands... as in crafting or skills :angel: I think that's part of the fun of cooking, seeing how evenly you can slice and dice.
But that said I can't help but think a mandolin might have been more useful for not that much more.
It's always fun to get new toys though :)

My problem with slicing is getting my fingers and thumbs in the way. That can happen with a mandolin, too, unless you get one with that little holder than holds the veggies to keep your fingers away from the blade.

I've been trying to eat more healthy bread. Bake my own, but I've been so sick for the past month that I barely was able to boil a tea pot. G-d willing after Passover. Can't wait to bake a loaf of rye bread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Just took this small batch of good ol', white, dinner rolls out of the oven. Bringing them to my mother's house today for Easter dinner where they will be eaten with copious amounts of butter.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Just took this small batch of good ol', white, dinner rolls out of the oven. Bringing them to my mother's house today for Easter dinner where they will be eaten with copious amounts of butter.

What a coincidence. I just finished some bread with copious amounts of butter :LOL:

Curse Costco!!! I went in for a prescription, decided to look through the books and at the end of the book row was a Food Sample (in the BOOKS!?!) of fresh from the oven Sour Dough and Italian Bread, still warm-with butter. 2 loaves (still warm) for $4.99. Yes, a loaf of each jumped into my cart. The Italian made a good tuna sandwich and right nice for snacking.

Will be having the sour dough with our lamb dinner later.

Curse Costco!!! I went in for a prescription, decided to look through the books and at the end of the book row was a Food Sample (in the BOOKS!?!) of fresh from the oven Sour Dough and Italian Bread, still warm-with butter. 2 loaves (still warm) for $4.99. Yes, a loaf of each jumped into my cart. The Italian made a good tuna sandwich and right nice for snacking.

OH GEEZ!! I better not go to the book store! LOL

Bread of choice: Ezekiel (Food For Life)

I eat 5 meals per day. At least 1 out of 5 meals includes bread... I typically have an egg sandwich for lunch. Occasionally for dinner, I'll have a slice or two with a chicken or steak salad. Not too often, I'll have slice of bread with a protein as a snack. Daily limit: 1-3 slices. Yes, there are day where I go without bread too. I do prepare a food journal in advance, so all my meals are preplanned daily. My bread choice is Ezekiel bread (Food for Life), sprouted grain - flourless and low glycemic.

And, I do pasta too (1 - 1-1/2 servings max)... had a bowl of whole wheat pasta, rotini, with crumbled feta cheese for lunch followed by an egg sandwich (Ezekiel bread) for my mid-day meal. Later, I will have turkey, parmesan meatballs with quinoa (another grain) and peas.

I have the same problem. Food that is not on my list jump into my cart every month. I should send a letter to the Utz potato chip folks and tell them to make their chips without legs. But writing a letter in longhand is such a chore. :angel:

Just got back from a late afternoon stroll with mom in Downtown Plymouth. Walked by a Panera Bread... Got a craving for Sourdough Bread Bowl Soup Bundle with all this bread talk. :) We passed though. Plan is to make a healthier version at home.

Last edited:

I have a recipe for soft dinner rolls that only takes a bit over an hour to make from scratch. They are yummy! :chef:

No fair! They didn't have sourdough here. The warm multi-grain was pretty delicious though, still warm like yours. I was able to block it from jumping intoy cart though.

Back
Top Bottom